Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Emma Nevada Update

January 15, 2017 07:21PM
There are parts of the firebox that appear to be original and parts that appear to have been replaced. You can also see where some staybolts were leaking. Some of the sheets of the firebox have splitting of the plate from the rivet holes to the edge of the sheet. I am not optimist on reusing any part of firebox at this point, I think what little that has been replaced is so minimal that reuse may not be practical. Whatever decision that the team decides regarding the boiler in whole, I would like for us to look at self performing these repairs as much as we can to save costs and provide the experience for the younger members. Those self performing repairs would include hand flanging, machine flanging, hot riveting and self qualifed welding repairs with use of museum members that are certified welders.

Expenses on a project like this can quickly add up and we most do our due diligence to ensure donated funds are spent the most economically, yet productive with quality being the up most important factor of them all. There are no shortages of narrow gauge restorations going on and some are nearing the end, some are in process and others are just getting off the ground. It is my hope that as we show progress, a clear plan and goal to reach, that the railroad community, the general public and the Disney/animation industry will help us return this engine to the rails through whatever means they can.
Subject Author Posted

Emma Nevada Update Attachments

Robert_Richardson January 14, 2017 10:25PM

Jeff Taylor January 15, 2017 01:15PM

John Cole January 15, 2017 01:39PM

Ted miles January 15, 2017 01:53PM

Robert_Richardson January 15, 2017 03:07PM

Bruce R. Pier January 15, 2017 06:21PM

Robert_Richardson January 15, 2017 07:21PM

Robert_Richardson January 15, 2017 02:51PM

John Cole January 15, 2017 04:00PM

Robert_Richardson January 15, 2017 07:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login