Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Explaining how the Como Depot walls were dissected and reassembled

October 17, 2016 08:34AM
To throw a few other things in the mix: Many railroad buildings were not built on site but prefabricated at a central area and shipped out in pieces and assembled and finish touches added. The building apparently shows signs of being moved, so it shows evidence of building being done elsewhere. A few years ago, there was a lively discussion on one of these forums about one branch of the Erie Railroad which had obviously Lackawanna styled stations, one which I believe is still in existence. It was assumed that it was easier to purchase stations in that situation which were already prefabricated and sitting ready to use, by a competitor, than design and fabricate new ones. This could have happened with the Como depot.

To diverge just a little more: Many so called separate railroads sometimes had common ownership and shared or influenced each other's departments. When we were firing up CNJ 113, one person brought up a whistle to put on the locomotive. He stated that it was purchased from the widow of a Maine Central employee. At first I thought he got some things mixed up because it was clearly marked B & M, but to make a long story short, the mechanical departments of both railroads worked together and many of the Maine Central locomotives had B&M whistles. I would like to point out that the B&M bowl/valves were very unique and marked.

Also, I visited the Kutztown, Pa station several times in the past few years, and in the freight section one can clearly see the markings that are over 100 years old that it was prefabricated somewhere and assembled and finished on site. Fortunately someone was smart enough to not paint over those marks.

The olde tymers were very skilled at moving and reusing buildings. Out west, complete towns were moved from one place to another.

Bernie
Subject Author Posted

Explaining how the Como Depot walls were dissected and reassembled

John Droste2 October 16, 2016 07:48AM

Eddy Sand October 16, 2016 02:27PM

Jason Midyette October 16, 2016 04:56PM

John Droste2 October 17, 2016 06:22AM

CharlieMcCandless October 17, 2016 07:54AM

Bernie Perch October 17, 2016 08:34AM

John Droste2 October 17, 2016 05:58PM

John Droste2 October 17, 2016 05:48PM

rdamurphy October 17, 2016 04:24PM

John Droste2 October 17, 2016 05:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login