Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: ex. Oahu, OR&L #15

April 12, 2003 10:58PM
Boerries...
Here is a story you might enjoy. It was written several years ago, when I was hard at work on my book, on which I am still hard at work.
Regarding paint, we painted the #19 with red, white, and yellow, to match our new buses. We had a huge #19 (black) at the front. There must be a photo out there somewhere.
(There have been no new items for a while, as I have been on a reading binge. Basically,
this got started when I got tired of watching “Bite the Bullet”, looking for tid-bits. As
long as I’m on the subject, I might as well offer the five best of the fifteen-or-so novels
I’ve done in the last several weeks. Be forewarned that these are not railroad books:
Carl Hiaason, “Sick Puppy”
Patricia Cornwell, “Southern Cross”
Ken Follett, “The Hammer of Eden”
John LeCarre, “Single & Single”
Robert B. Parker, “Trouble in Paradise”)
(Note that I stick to really obscure authors.)
THE STORY OF LOCOMOTIVE #19...
As usual with our purchases of (narrow gauge) locomotives from Hawaii, this one
originated with Jay Conde. He informed us that the last remaining segment of the Oahu
Railway was being scrapped. The source of its last business (I believe it was a pineapple
cannery.) had closed down. The two diesel locomotives were available.
These were General Electric 44 tonners. Trying to remember why they were that weight,
and recalling vaguely that there was some real reason, I called my all-knowing friend
Charlie Givens, and got this answer: An agreement had been made with the Brotherhoods
that locomotives under 90,000# could be operated without a fireman. Charlie also looked
at his “Diesel Spotter’s Guide” (Kalmbach), and reported that they were built between
1940 and 1956. A total of 334 were sold in the U.S.
The locomotives had originally gone to the U.S. Navy at Pearl Harbor, to be used for
transporting munitions. After the war, the Oahu bought them.
Scenic decided that it would be really useful to have one of the little locomotives at
Chama. It would be great for moving stuff around in the yard, without having to fire up a
steamer. Also, it would probably be useful in track maintenance work, moving equipment
to Antonito when necessary, and just in general. There was never any thought of using it
in passenger service.
The engines were in the “engine house” (no walls, just a roof) at Honolulu. I chose the
#19, as it was a familiar friend. (I have a nice photo of it pulling #5 to the dock.) A deal
was struck with the scrapper, who then owned everything. He would arrange to get the
locomotive to the dock, and be paid for that and the purchase. As there were no heavy
cranes at the dock to be used to put the locomotive on board, the ship’s gear would have
to be used. Its load limit, if I recall correctly, was 50,000#. So, we would have to break
the locomotive up, basically by removing the trucks from the body.
Scenic had purchased a truck to move equipment from Alamosa to Lake Tahoe. It was a
sorry old International Harvester gas-powered rig, totally inadequate for the work we had
in mind, but it was all we could afford at the time. To receive the locomotive parts, we
rented two flat-bed trailers. We moved them to Oakland prior to the ship’s arrival, and
had them in place for the unloading. We stored the locomotive body in a local warehouse,
and took off for Chama with the two locomotive trucks. There were three of us in Scenic
who had gotten California Class 1 driver’s licenses, allowing us to drive anything. (I’m
not saying we were actually competent to do so, only that could do it legally.)
We chose the southern route through Flagstaff, instead of the route through Gunnison,
as it was considerably less mountainous. The truck was terribly overloaded, could only
crawl up the grades on the interstate (even though they are limited by law to 6%
maximum), and had inadequate weight on the front axle - which gave it very soft steering.
Frankly, it was a terrifying trip. But, we did make it to Chama.
The body went next. (I managed to avoid that trip.) The moment it arrived in Chama, a
wise-ass on the shop crew, a former WWII military type, dubbed it “The Pineapple”. Yes,
it was painted yellow. And, considering its heritage, the name was certainly appropriate.
After being assembled, we cranked it up for the first test. The engineer opened the
throttle, and nothing happened. There was lots of noise, but no movement. Upon close
examination, we found that the wheels of the front truck were pulling forward, and the
wheels of the rear truck were pulling backwards. Wires had been crossed during the
reinstallation of the trucks.
At that point, some other wise-ass on the shop crew (Bernie Watts?) offered the opinion
that it didn’t matter, because the thing wouldn’t be able to do anything useful there
anyway. That notion was dispelled fairly soon, after the wiring was repaired, when we
had to move two K-36’s, that for some reason I forget, had to be moved coupled
together. The Pineapple walked away with them easily, even though they had not moved
in three years. The reason is that series-wound traction motors have tremendous torque at
low speed. (Technically, at low speed, there is no “back emf”, and maximum current can
flow through the windings, creating maximum torque.) There was no further dispute
about the decision to purchase the locomotive. It did continue to be a real asset in
day-to-day work around the yard, such as in assmbling a train for the next day’s service.
(We always ran only enough cars to handle the passengers for the next trip.)
An exception occurred in 1974. That was the year of the great gasoline shortage.
Motorists were having to wait in long lines, some times for hours, to fuel up. It was only
the most courageous who would undertake a trip from Denver or Albuquerque to Chama.
We were in trouble. Running our normal steam schedule would have been financial
suicide. So, in the early part of the season, when there is light patronage, we offered the
alternative of little diesel powered excursions form Cumbres to Sublette (?) and return.
We were very careful to explain, to people calling for reservations, that the regular steam
excursions would not resume until after the gasoline shortage was over, but that they had
the option of taking the less exciting, but just as beautiful trip, on our diesel powered
trains. Some people chose that option. I’m glad we offered it. Naturally, we were
criticized for the decision, by die-hard steam enthusiasts. (Even, for Christ’s sake, on this
bulletin board.)
Today, it is unlikely that anyone involved with the railroad would be willing to dispose of
The Pineapple. It is simply too useful a tool, and even represents a safety factor in that it
could go to rescue passengers from a train stranded by breakdown or derailment. I hope
there is no more whining about the presence of a diesel at the holy steam shrine
represented by the C&TS RR.
QUESTIONS:
1. Does anyone remember why the two K-36’s had to be moved together?
2. Does anyone have photos of the locomotive in pieces at Chama?
3. Does anyone know the history of #15, which is now at Georgetown?
AND, if you see mistakes, where my memory is weak, please let me know.
Bob Keller
Subject Author Posted

Camino, Cable & Northen #15, ex. OR&L #15 Diesel *LINK*

Boerries Burkhardt April 06, 2003 10:14AM

Re: Camino, Cable & Northen #15, ex. OR&L #15 Dies

Bob Keller April 06, 2003 05:42PM

Re: ex. OR&L #15 Diesel

Dave S. April 06, 2003 08:05PM

Re: Camino, Cable & Northen #15 - YES *LINK*

Boerries Burkhardt April 10, 2003 10:26AM

Re: ex. Oahu, OR&L #15 *LINK* *PIC*

Boerries Burkhardt April 10, 2003 01:49PM

Bob Keller April 11, 2003 08:54AM

Re: ex. Oahu, OR&L #15 *LINK*

Boerries Burkhardt April 11, 2003 03:16PM

Bob Keller April 12, 2003 10:58PM

Re: ex. Oahu, OR&L #15 *LINK* *PIC*

Boerries Burkhardt April 13, 2003 02:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.