Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Firebox work by D&RGW

March 24, 2003 05:32PM
On the firbox question.
The last boilermaker on the Grande that did heavy firebox was Fred Kahler (probably isn't the correct spelling of his last name). (That I remember.)
Fred was a journeyman BM hiree from the UP in Denver who was hired after responding to an ad placed in the DPost or RMNews by the D&RGW requesting a boilermaker familiar with locomotive boilers. Not an exact quote on the ad. I saw the ad, just couldn't believe it! Think that was early 1961 or 62.
Fred was the first BM to do any major work on the NG equipment in a number of years. Quite afew of the engines had tube sheets with tube holes way out of round and oversize from over-rolling or expanding. Let alone the other usual FB problems.
The BMs at BHM were few in number and the last rear flue sheet they made at BHM was too short and had to be stretched thru the flange to make it work. In fairness to the BHM boys, the McCabe Flanger at BHM (I remember seeing 'it' & the dies (for it) when I worked there) was moved into the shop at set up to be used. But the few guys left, I suspect, hadn't done that kind of work for awhile and had forgotten some of the tricks of flanging.
Some of the foreman at BHM were did not speak well of the BMs work. But such is life.
That was before FK arrived.
I remember seeing new side sheets going in with rigids in but not headed up. Some welding being finished up on the seams.
Before FK and the BHM boys, there was one of two brothers of whom at the moment I can't remember their names. One was in charge of the boiler end. RWR mentioned that it was under that supervisor, threw out all the patterns for laying out (prior to forming or rolling) firbox and other sheets on the NG and probably some of the smaller SG power assigned to ALA for maintenance. Of course by the mid-50's who would have thought that any of those locomotives would last more than a few years anyway.
I met Fred a few times and he was always friendly and he knew his job. Andy Payne told a story about Fred having problems with the exhaust system on his car not lasting with the store bought piping (things don't seem to change, do they?). So Fred did the measurements, formed and welded up some 2" boiler tube from DGO using short pieces and never had anymore problems with that exhaust piping. Probably outlasted the car!
Don't know what happened to Fred, time marches on.
Chris
Subject Author Posted

Firebox work by D&RGW

Robby Peartree March 22, 2003 08:29AM

Earl March 24, 2003 12:14AM

John Bush March 24, 2003 09:10AM

Durango Vendor

Robby Peartree March 24, 2003 09:57AM

Earl March 24, 2003 10:12AM

John Bush March 24, 2003 10:41AM

Chris Ahrens March 24, 2003 05:32PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.