Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG- LIRR 39

June 16, 2015 11:00PM avatar
Yes, fundraising for 39's restoration has been pretty unsuccessful to date, which is sad but predictable. The engine was moved from Stony Brook to Riverhead all the way back in 1978, which means she has been "under restoration" for 37 years, almost a decade longer than her actual service life on the LIRR from 1927 to 1955. During those 37 years, many promises were made, many many donations were given by private individuals and many grants were awarded by interested non-profits and funding agencies at every level of government, from town and county to the State of New York and even federal money through ISTEA, and generations of railfans have come and gone, but 39 is still just a pile of parts. There is a lot of fatigue and frustration felt by past donors, so their unwillingness to give more is perfectly understandable. That the current plan involves removing 39 from her home rails on Long Island just adds to the PR problem.

In contrast, the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum has been remarkably successful in their fundraising for 39's sister engine 35, the other surviving LIRR G5. They're a much newer group which means they're not held back by the same history of past disappointments as the Railroad Museum of Long Island, but they also seem to have a skilled fundraising staff that has been able to capitalize on Oyster Bay's historical connection to Teddy Roosevelt. (Their other major project is the restoration of the historic Oyster Bay depot, which was TR's home station when his Oyster Bay estate served as the Summer White House.) Nonetheless, I predict the MTA will never allow them to operate 35 on the LIRR either, just as the RMLI reluctantly concluded with 39. (Will they end up putting her on rollers or something, or running her back and forth on 100 feet of track in the Oyster Bay yard? I really don't know.)

I'm not old enough to have ever seen steam on the LIRR, but I do have fond memories of playing and climbing on 39 when she was on display in Stony Brook in the 1970s. (I grew up nearby and actually attended high school in Stony Brook, and I still live in the area.) She was the first steam locomotive I ever knew up close, and remains very special to me -- truly an old friend. As much as I'd like to see her stay on home rails, I think the RMLI's lease agreement with Strasburg is probably the best option there is for her to return to operation, and I'm sure Kelly and his staff will take good care of her. (Other lost and neglected engines out there should be so lucky!)

I'm optimistic that others will put their frustrations aside and recognize the value in this arrangement, and contribute what they can to support it. I was able to make a small donation to RMLI for 39 in 2013 myself and hope to be able to give again this year.

-Philip Marshall

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2015 12:37AM by philip.marshall.
Subject Author Posted

NNG- LIRR 39

Ted miles June 13, 2015 11:52AM

F&W#14 June 13, 2015 02:23PM

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley June 13, 2015 04:51PM

philip.marshall June 16, 2015 11:00PM

Ted miles June 14, 2015 10:14AM

dougvv June 13, 2015 04:13PM

Hauspiper June 13, 2015 04:24PM

rehunn June 13, 2015 08:33PM

Hauspiper June 13, 2015 08:38PM

dougvv June 13, 2015 08:52PM

Kelly Anderson June 14, 2015 09:57AM

philip.marshall June 17, 2015 01:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login