Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Silverton depot bombing

February 23, 2003 01:04AM
The damage to the Silverton Depot was extensive. I was a bit surprised that the building was repaired and not demolished, as is too often the case. There are several pictures of the damage. I would check the Silverton Standard or Durango Herald archives if all else failed.
I was the Silverton Train conductor the day the depot was bombed. I do not know the date right off the top of my head. It was fortunate that we had been delayed at Elk Park for about 10 minutes because of an extra heavy loading of back packers. When we arrived at Silverton, several passengers saw the damage as we went by the depot and of course had many questions about how the damage occurred and how long ago the depot was damaged. My first thought was I didn't know anything was wrong with the depot so as soon as the passengers unloaded in town I run down to the depot and Wow, the depot had just been blown-up by a "terrorist" or vandals or whatever. When I called the management at Durango (Jack Rentfrow) they had not heard the news yet, Jack went into shock. Mr. Rentrow's worst fear was that someone would sabotage the train someday in a serious way. As the impact of what had just happened started to hit home, I and the other members of the train crew, the staff in Durango and the management in Denver became very concerned and fearful about what else could occur. We considered taking everyone back to Durango on buses for the sake of safety but finally decided to return the passengers to Durango by rail. I did make sure the train was off schedule for fear that someone would try to time our arrival at one of the bridges or at another structure on the line.
There was never an arrest made in connection with the bombing that I know of however I have been told law enforcement knew who did the nasty deed. Indeed the bomb went off when the train would normally have arrived at Silverton, thank goodness we were late that day.
Woody W
Subject Author Posted

Silverton depot bombing

Bob Yarger February 21, 2003 11:31AM

Matt Hutson February 21, 2003 12:12PM

Re: Silverton bombing

Dave S. February 21, 2003 01:17PM

Re: Silverton depot bombing *LINK* *PIC*

John Kelly February 21, 2003 02:55PM

Glen Brewer February 21, 2003 04:12PM

Dick February 22, 2003 07:41AM

Earl February 22, 2003 08:43PM

Woody February 23, 2003 01:04AM

Glen Brewer February 23, 2003 08:42AM

depot bombing -- there was a precedence

Glen Brewer February 23, 2003 09:45AM

Woody February 24, 2003 08:51PM

Grant Houston February 25, 2003 09:31PM

Poster Back *PIC*

Gary Waite February 23, 2003 10:36AM

Poster Front *PIC*

Gary Waite February 23, 2003 10:40AM

Thank you card *PIC*

Gary Waite February 23, 2003 10:43AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.