Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Camino Cable & Northern

February 09, 2003 06:50AM
Tim...
Here's an item I wrote several years ago, as part of my stuff for a book which I might someday get published:
THE CAMINO, CABLE & NORTHERN (item #10)
Harold Wilmunder had a loop of track around his little ranch at Antelope, California,
near Roseville, north of Sacramento. He had collected some railroad equipment: a Porter
0-4-0 from a brick manufacturer in the area, a 2-6-0 from Guatemala, a San Francisco
cable car, and a couple of cars from the Westside Lumber Company in Tuolumne. Harold
also had found a theater organ, which he set up in his house. My impression, when I went
there the first time, was that his wife didn’t like any of the above.
I was building a live-steam model locomotive in the machine shop at Stanford. I was a
young assistant professor there, in the Design Division of the Department of Mechanical
Engineering, and had been put in charge of the shop. It was part of my assignment as the
instructor of the manufacturing processes course, about which I knew virtually nothing.
My notion was that I should learn to run a lathe, milling machine, drill press, and the other
tools in the shop. Building a live-steam locomotive seemed to be an ideal way to
accomplish this. It was. During that process, I came to the conclusion that a designer of
machinery should never send out drawings of parts that he couldn’t make himself. I still
believe that, very strongly.
The shop was on a campus street, and had large windows. As the model took shape, it
could be seen by anyone on the sidewalk. Alan Wilmunder, Harold’s brother, who was
employed at SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center), noticed the model, looked me
up, and invited me to a steam-up at Harold’s ranch. (I should have declined, but didn’t.)
I was fascinated by Harold’s projects. I was already a devoted railfan. The notion of
preserving and restoring narrow-gauge steam locomotives was magnificent in my opinion.
I was hooked.
The Michigan-California Lumber Company had its office at Camino, a little town about
fifteen miles east of Placerville. For years, when you drove through Camino on highway
50, on your way to go skiing at Lake Tahoe, you got to see the locomotives that the
company no longer had in service. Cliff Grandt built at least one model of a
Michigan-California 0-4-0 saddle tanker, that he showed at the Oakland Society of Model
Engineers layout in Hayward. I asked my parents if I could buy one, but they wouldn’t go
for such an outrageous scheme. They said, correctly, that there just wasn’t room in our
yard in Lafayette to have a locomotive. It’s difficult, when you’re a teen-ager, to get
grand notions across to your parents.
Harold negotiated a lease of the Michigan-California right-of-way, from highway 50 to
Cable Point. I have no idea of how he accomplished this. I suppose that the company had
no use for the property, at all, and was willing to make a few dollars from some shithead
who wanted to play with his trains there.
Now, you have to understand that the logging railroad of the Michigan-California
Lumber Company was not at all ordinary. It really had two parts, separated by the gorge
of the American River, about ten miles north of Camino. The gorge was spanned by a
cable tramway, on which loaded log cars were carried. The cable, some pieces of which
were still lying around when I was first there, was about two inches in diameter. The
external strands were rectangular, not round, so that the cable was actually quite smooth,
to accomodate the rollers that carried the cars. You can read all about it, in my dear
friend’s, Professor Steve Polkinghorn, book, “Pino Grande”.
We started laying track in early 1967 (?). I did surveying, because I wanted to learn how
to do railroad surveying. (The track location was obvious from the roadbed.) I also did
some of the physical labor; as little as possible.
One weekend of volunteer work, I took Ingrid. We set up camp about a half mile down
from the first road crossing, in the woods there. Apparently, some teen-agers found our
camp, and stole our sleeping bags. So, we went to a motel in Placerville. It was there that
our first child was conceived.
Ingrid and I bought a 27 acre ranch, out along the railroad right-of-way near Cable Road,
with the help of my parents. We had many very pleasant weekends there, frequently with
my parents, and had a nice visit from her parents from Germany. The ranch had a small
stream running down through the middle of the meadow, an apple orchard on the hillside,
and was surrounded by National Forest Land. We enjoyed it very much. We were both
teaching, and had summers off. So, we had lots of time to spend there, with our children
and animals. We leased out grazing rights to horse owners, and raised some animals
ourselves. (“Hamburger” and “Beefsteak” were their names.)
The little railroad didn’t get very far. At the end, there was about a mile of track,
reaching the shop site. (We had built the shop out of parts from “temporary buildings” on
the Stanford campus, which had then been there for fifty years, since W.W.II, and which I
had stupidly agreed to remove at no cost, providing that we could have the parts.) But,
we had built a fairly respectable shop building, with two tracks for locomotives..
The lumber company was purchased by a Japanese firm a couple years later. They didn’t
understand, or care about, the value of a little tourist railroad to the community. (Camino,
at an elevation of about 3000 feet, is an ideal place for apples. It has an annual “Apple
Festival”, and the steam train was an attractive part of that.) Harold’s lease was canceled.
Fortunately, Harold owned the property on which the shop was located. He moved the
locomotive (the Porter 2-6-0) there, along with a Shay he had gotten from the Westside. I
have no idea of what has happened to the locomotives since then. I doubt they have been
scrapped.
Bob Keller
3-28-00, abc
Subject Author Posted

OR&L - Oahu Railway & Land Co. Narrow Gauge *PIC*

Boerries Burkhardt February 08, 2003 03:14PM

Re: OR&L - Oahu Railway & Land Co. Narrow Gauge

Bob Keller February 08, 2003 07:56PM

Camino Cable & Northern

Tim Bain February 09, 2003 05:22AM

Bob Keller February 09, 2003 06:50AM

West Side Shay #14

Kevin Cook February 10, 2003 08:56AM

Re: West Side Shay #14

CHARLIE HOPKINS February 10, 2003 05:55PM

Brian R. Curnow February 10, 2003 12:57PM

Re: Camino Cable & Northern *PIC*

O.Anderson February 10, 2003 03:09PM

Joe P February 09, 2003 01:25PM

ncng9 February 09, 2003 11:39PM

CHARLIE HOPKINS February 10, 2003 10:47AM

eric bracher February 10, 2003 11:06AM

Bob Keller February 08, 2003 08:38PM

Bob Keller February 08, 2003 08:48PM

Mike February 08, 2003 09:42PM

Taylor Rush February 09, 2003 01:18AM

Re: OR&L - Oahu Railway & Land Co. Engine #19

Mike February 09, 2003 02:15AM

Taylor Rush February 09, 2003 02:20AM

Mike February 09, 2003 03:00AM

USP diesels

Bruce Pryor February 09, 2003 09:10AM

Re: USP diesels

Brian Norden February 09, 2003 12:15PM

Numbers 15 and 19

Dave S. February 09, 2003 05:31AM

Re: Numbers 15 and 19 *PIC*

Jessica Stacey February 09, 2003 08:05AM

Thanks, Jessica

Bob Keller February 09, 2003 10:36AM

Re: Numbers 15 and 19

Mark Valerius February 09, 2003 11:29AM

C&TS Diesels

Mike February 09, 2003 07:03PM

Re: C&TS Diesels

Mark Valerius February 10, 2003 08:20AM

Re: Numbers 15 and 19

John Irwin February 11, 2003 08:15PM

C&TS ROW & the FS

Mark Valerius February 12, 2003 12:46PM

Re: Diesels? WHAT diesels?

Jay Wimer February 13, 2003 11:58PM

John Irwin February 14, 2003 12:23AM

Mike February 14, 2003 12:56AM

WP&Y uses them all

Bruce Pryor February 14, 2003 06:55AM

Re: WP&Y uses them all

Michael Allen February 16, 2003 09:15AM

Jerry Day February 09, 2003 07:36AM

Re: OR&L - Oahu Railway & Land Co. Narrow Gauge *PIC*

Boerries Burkhardt February 09, 2003 09:46AM

Re: OR&L -15 on CRRM

PRSL February 09, 2003 10:54AM

OR&L - Oahu Railway & Land Co. Narrow Gauge *PIC*

Boerries Burkhardt February 09, 2003 12:04PM

Jerry Day February 09, 2003 03:00PM

Jerry Day February 09, 2003 03:04PM

Re: Narrow Gauge Diesels

Mike February 09, 2003 04:08PM

eric bracher February 09, 2003 11:53AM

Re: OR&L - Oahu Railway & Land Co. Narrow Gauge *NM*

CHARLIE HOPKINS February 09, 2003 02:05PM

stephen February 09, 2003 06:02PM

U S Army Boxcar Colors

Mike February 09, 2003 08:05PM

Re: U S Army Boxcar Colors

John Hammond February 09, 2003 08:38PM

Navy Box Cars on Oahu

M Austin February 09, 2003 10:03PM

Re: Navy Box Cars on Oahu

Jerry Day February 10, 2003 08:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.