Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: S.V.Ry. Styx/Alder trestle

October 09, 2014 10:00AM avatar
Yeh, I am with Bruce on this, not the same location. The second photo is definitlely Styx/Alder Springs. The first photo could be Kight's, but as I have never explored that end I guess the original caption is as good as it gets. There were several points that likely had trestles in the S Wye to McCoy portion of the rr that got filled. One notable one is not far up grade from S Wye where the line was relocated by making a rather deep cut through a ridge, using the spoils of the cut to make a fill to replace the trestle which sat at an angle to the later route so the line could go around the end of the ridge though still through a much smaller cut. The Prairie Extension had a lot of trestles including a decent sized one on Bridge Crk. not too far below the summit.
I have assumed those rails sticking out in the 2nd photo were a motor car set out. When I last visited the site I could find no remaining evidence of them, though as I recall there are timbers on the ground remaining where a set out was somewhere up grade from the other end of the trestle.
So for those not familiar with SVRy, you may note we keep calling the second trestle by 2 names. On company maps this trestle is referred to as Styx. No idea what the railroads employees called it. In the couple of timetables I have there is a speed restriction to 5mph on the trestle between Larch and McCoy, but no specific name given. Many people call it Alder Springs. However Alder Springs as far as timetables, train orders and maps is some distance up grade from the trestle and had a passing siding and was also the location where logging grades diverged. Alder Springs was also the location of a ph. booth. I have a number of train orders made at Alder Springs. These would have been given to the conductor over the ph.,copied by the conductor in triplicate as I understand it, a copy given to the engineer, and a copy put in a slot in a lock box in the ph. booth. Likely the copies I have are ones that were retrieved back to the S.Baker offices from the lock box.
Scan-080719-0061 - Copy.jpg
This may be Kight's. We know it burned it after a train had passed over on the way to Prairie. This left a train stranded on that end for a few days. Seems like the story is that the B&B crew was also stranded on the Prairie end. There are actually several photos of this incident, including one that Mal Ferrol shared with me showing a train that appears to be made up of the outfit cars and the formerly stranded train which has the Zerolene tank car in it. Cool stuff.
Subject Author Posted

S.V.Ry. Styx/Alder trestle

terry fosback October 07, 2014 05:03PM

J.B.Bane October 07, 2014 07:03PM

Jim Grigsby October 08, 2014 06:54PM

Re: S.V.Ry. Styx/Alder trestle Attachments

terry fosback October 09, 2014 03:15AM

bcp October 09, 2014 09:07AM

J.B.Bane October 09, 2014 10:00AM

terry fosback October 09, 2014 12:45PM

Jim Grigsby October 11, 2014 03:31PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell October 10, 2014 04:50PM

Taylor Rush October 11, 2014 07:09AM

terry fosback October 19, 2014 11:25AM

terry fosback October 11, 2014 02:10PM

Bridge list, location? Attachments

bcp October 10, 2014 05:03PM

Re: Bridge list, location?

J.B.Bane October 10, 2014 06:12PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell October 11, 2014 02:19PM

Chris Walker October 11, 2014 05:05PM

Jim Grigsby October 11, 2014 05:37PM

J.B.Bane October 11, 2014 05:54PM

jim pallow October 12, 2014 08:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login