Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coker's Adventures on the Mainline , Part 6

May 18, 2002 10:10PM
The Superintendent
"B_T_ is an a**hole"
"B_T_ is a p***k"
"Send B_T_ to charm school"
The graffiti was in little places all over the yard office facility on ther north side of Trinidad . On the desk where you would do paperwork . On the blackboard over the urinals . And ,under the breath of most of the employees .BT was like all bosses everywhere in America -unloved . I asked employees what specifically was their problem with BT . It was generally agreed that he had a way of putting things that were a little too direct,over the top and lacking the social graces . I never understood how all the companies I ever worked for could never find a supervisor that had he gift of tact , persuasion or finesse . BT was ,in those ways no different .The few times I talked to him I found him cordial and accomodating of my requests. Others recounted how he did not want to release a man from work to deal with the death of his child . He was reprimanded from higher-ups when the union raised hell about it ,then gave the next man two weeks bereavement leave .
BT came to our class and gave a talk .He told us about his background ,and maybe too much about himself .He spoke with the flat vowels of his native Minnesota .He was a product of a time in the late 1960s when railroads were big on hiring college grads for ALL management positions , attempting to discard with the old tradition of promoting from the ranks . There was a reason for this thinking .Promoted railroaders often treat an official's position as a form of semi-retirement(I have seen that on the shortlines as well).BT was , however ,at a great disadvantage . Unlike a promoted railroader ,he could not go back into the ranks if his job was abolished , or he had problems with the job .His next move was out the door .He found that out a few years back .He went into his office in Fort Worth and there was a note to see his supervisor .The merger with the ATSF had happened a few months back . His job was abolished...see ya! He went home and his wife had left him!!What a day!! Two weeks later he was offered the job in Trinidad .He replied "I don't want the job if you ruined some other man's life so I could have it! " He took it anyway .
Like a lot of things I saw and heard on the mainline , it gave me pause to think .BT was as hateful of the job as many of his employees .He was middle aged ,had a family , a lifesyle ,and few choices . He was diligent if almost anal about his job of policing his employees ,because he feared for his job .
Like all railroaders ,I observed the behavior of a lot of railroad officials ,and always felt I could do better .Sometimes I felt ANYONE could do better . Like I said earlier ,few officials seemed blessed with the skill to inspire men to do a good job ,and some even lacked what seemed to me as basic social skills . Belittling an engineer or conductor in the presence of employees and even tourists is simply bad form . Conversely I respected most my toughest bosses, Mick Connor and John Oldberg .These were ill-tempered men ,who often made the very same mistakes I renumerated above , but they were good teachers and they had the ability to instill confidence in their employees .That is very important . One boss who was a tyrant I still respect because he was an excellent railroader himself and was at least an honest man .The worst bosses I ever had tried to look good to everybody ,and came off as everybody's friend . That didn't work because they were basically incincere about that friendship and eventually , everything else . Would I make a great boss ?? Oh ,Hell Yes !! ButI was beginning to see that management jobs are often thankless-extraordinarliy difficult-and very lonely . It would be a thing you would want to be careful of what you wish for . I think there are few things those managers out there should remember ,however , from an employee's point of view .Try to be positive and supportive without being patronizing or transparent . Be firm ,direct but most importantly ,fair in your dealings with employees . Honesty should be a constant , but a little tact and common sense helps in imparting your opinions. Avoid anality .It makes you look ridiculous , though attention to detail is a life-and-death issue on places as dangerous as a railroad . Finally set a good example for employees by following the rules yourself and working every bit as hard as you expect your employees to work . Still ,your employees might not ever love you ,but at least they will respect you .
Subject Author Posted

Coker's Adventures on the Mainline , Part 6

El Coke May 18, 2002 10:10PM

Re: Coker's Adventures on the Mainline , Part 6

Fred T May 19, 2002 12:15AM

How true , Frad

El Coke May 19, 2002 08:02AM

Re: How true , Frad

Mike Ramsey May 19, 2002 03:17PM

The "Plugs"

El Coke May 19, 2002 03:48PM

Re: The "Plugs"

Mike Ramsey May 19, 2002 07:08PM

Re: The "Plugs and Sam Imbleau"

Robby Peartree May 20, 2002 12:14AM

"middle manager"?

Kelly Anderson May 19, 2002 06:23PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.