Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Germany Side by Side in the snow

November 13, 2020 09:13AM
I made one last trip to Europe in March of 1975. My main reason was that in May they were going to withdraw the remaining handful of 3-cylinder 4-6-2's from the Rhiene-Nordeich line. I wrote and was granted a cab ride on the entire line and back on the beginning of my trip. So seeing and riding that line was my first goal. My other goal was to visit Lauda, where in the summer of 1974 we had witnessed these dual departures every morning. However the lighting was earlier in March of 1975 and I didn't even bother taking any movies. One morning I figured shooting close-up would be best, so I shot right at the depot. Normally in the summer we shot about half-a-mile away where the two lines split.
In this scene the 7:00 train to Wurzburg has a class 23 2-6-2(On the left), and the train to Wertheim departs on the right with a class 52 2-10-0. The track between them is the other main to Wurzburg(Double Track line). When we shot the split area, one had to be careful, since there was a train due in from Wurzburg at 7:05, on the line between these two trains. So the shot being early is a bit moody but both trains would race to where the two lines split, and it happened just about every morning. This was the last year it happened with steam. Some of the 74 stuff is in one of our German videos if anyone is interested.
Back in these days I shot mostly 35mm slides, and some super 8 movies when the weather was decent as film was expensive! Last scene was near the split in the summer of 1974.
Greg
[www.gregschollvideo.com]
Racers March 75056.jpg
Racers Away March75052LR.jpg
Germ1974Racers 045.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Germany Side by Side in the snow Attachments

Greg Scholl November 13, 2020 09:13AM

Re: Germany Side by Side in the snow-more

Greg Scholl November 13, 2020 09:25AM

Re: Germany Side by Side on the narrow gauge too Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen November 13, 2020 07:32PM

Re: Germany Side by Side on the narrow gauge too

Greg Scholl November 14, 2020 07:09AM

trainrider47 November 14, 2020 03:06PM

Greg Scholl November 15, 2020 07:56AM

trainrider47 November 15, 2020 09:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login