Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Como depot revisited, part two

August 28, 2017 06:04AM
Yesterday I demonstrated that the length of the "2nd addition" is half the length of an internal cross wall of the depot and a wall the internal width of the office combined. You need to be able to study this on a big screen to confirm this yourself. An iPhone will not be enough to show the detail.

And somebody suggested that I should go and model a Hon3 train set. And my response is that I want to do this post demonstrating that I am talking about the real DSP&P depot. The original one. And with all due respect to all of the wonderful people who are rebuilding a railroad on the South Park, that railroad is not the DSP&P RR. It is simply a full scale train set of a or the railroad. Just like a Hon3 model train set.

To demonstrate this and to continue with my showing you that the depot was entirely constructed at the same time using dismantled buildings from elsewhere, I am going to 'discuss' just a few pieces of wood from the original depot that have extraordinary significance from a historical perspective, but would never be fully recognised as such if I do not show this to you now. No joke, look, see...

This is a photo of the baggage room. Take note of the grooved cover strap crossing the ceiling and part way down the wall. Take note of the mitre on the end of that piece of grooved wood on the wall. The wood is there for a reason, covering something. Take notice of the hole in the wall too, between the baggage room and waiting room.
DSCF9089 Hole in wall.jpg

Now the grooved board in question appears in only two places in the depot. Here it is again in this photo and with a mitre on the end as well. Here it is part of three pieces of wood tacked against each other, which became the board where the telegraph wires came through. The piece of shaped wood underneath is the type used to surround the panels in a door, say.
The piece of wood above with the shaped end, I believe I recognise as what would normally be attached under a window sill, but not the shape used under the depot windows. Note that these three pieces of wood were attached to the wall before the corner bead was attached. NOT an insignificant observation.
DSCF9105.JPG

What I find significant about these few pieces of grooved wood appearing in these two places is that they do not appear anywhere else and yet they appear in the building in places that were meant to be constructed at different times? But there is more to it than just that. Much of the history of this depot is in this hidden in this last photo.

But the question should be, "Why have three pieces of wood haphazardly attached to the wall in such a manner?" Whoever did it was obviously in a rush, not caring to dock off ends, making a neat job of it. Same could be said of the baggage room cover straps.

The wall between the office and the waiting room also has a hole through the wall, same hight and size as the one in the baggage/waiting room wall. This one is covered by a piece of tin, with the corner bead also, over the top of the tin.
n_a676.jpg

Now if you have a decent sized screen, not on your iPhone, you can judge that three pieces of wood nailed to the north wall are at the exact hight of the two holes further along the wall. So I hope that you understand that the three pieces of wood are also covering a hole in the north wall. In a wall that was supposedly built as a later addition!

So the question becomes, "What were the holes for?" And so I ask you to take note of the position of the hole in the wall with the three surrounding bolts, next to the three pieces of wood on the north wall.

And now we go to the next photo, also a photo of the north wall and the window in this section of wall has no familiarity with any other window in the Como depot. This section of wall comes from an altogether different building.
But what I am seeking to point out other than that anomaly is the cog bracket of the train order board. It is the same hight and size as the holes that I have pointed out earlier. If you take the time to observe, you will see how precisely this bracket lines up with the three pieces of wood further to the left.
DSCF9041.JPG

And so it appears that at one time the shaft and cog bracket were moved through the wall alongside the wall facing the front of the depot exiting the north wall, where the Pacific hotel was? Why? Because all of that happened before Como, when the building was somewhere else.

Now I will just point out that a venomous cyber troll has made a great deal of fuss about this, pointing out that when the depot was first operating in Como there was no train order board. I am fine with his point but it does not mean that TOB`s were not used elsewhere on other railroads. Makes me wonder what construction site those scraps of material came from!
2014-10-30 18.40.14.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2017 06:07AM by John Droste2.
Subject Author Posted

Como depot revisited, part two Attachments

John Droste2 August 28, 2017 06:04AM

Re: Como depot revisited, part two

Car57 August 28, 2017 06:54AM

Jerry Huck August 28, 2017 07:52AM

Re: Como depot revisited, editorial.

Stewart Rhine August 28, 2017 07:49AM

jalbers August 28, 2017 09:59AM

Car57 August 28, 2017 12:12PM

Re: Como depot revisited, editorial. Attachments

John Droste2 August 28, 2017 06:07PM

SMITTY August 28, 2017 01:28PM

Russo Loco August 28, 2017 01:55PM

Jim Grigsby August 28, 2017 06:19PM

John Droste2 August 28, 2017 10:17PM

Car57 August 29, 2017 07:08AM

John Droste2 August 29, 2017 07:17AM

nickgully August 29, 2017 01:12PM

rdamurphy August 29, 2017 01:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login