Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: M&PP Ry Steam

October 06, 2009 11:56AM
Guys, Kevin Madore posted on RYPN the following. Its pretty informative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not in any way associated with the Mt. Washington Railway Company. I'm just a long-time customer, steam enthusiast, preservationist and photographer who has really become attached to the place over the years. It brings tears to my eyes to see what's happening up there.

Some observations:

First, I believe that the environmental aspect of the current "dieselization" program is really just a side benefit that makes for good PR. It is difficult to imagine that the railway would make the investment in the growing fleet of custom-built, diesel hydraulic locomotives purely to placate the tree-huggers. The steam locomotives on Mt. Washington are exempted from pollution controls by a state law that recognized their miniscule environmental effect when compared to their historic significance. No, when you look at the economics, it becomes obvious what the motivation is:

1. Steamers need state boiler certificates. Diesels don't.
2. Steamers need two crewmembers. Diesels need only one.
3. Steamer Engineers need high pressure boiler operator certificates. Diesel Engineers don't.
4. Diesels don't need to stop for water or multiple water towers on the line.
5. The diesel goes to the top in 40 minutes. The steamer takes an hour and 10.
6. Diesels have a 2 hr cycle time vs 3 hrs for steam.
7. The railway can operate all day with just 2 diesels vs 3 steamers.
8. Diesels start with the push of a button.
9. Diesels are easier to repair.
10. Diesels burn 18 gallons of B20 per trip. Steamers burn up to a ton of coal.

As for the locomotive on eBay, we are talking about MWRC #3 "Agiocochook". She was built in 1883 by the Manchester Locomotive Works for the Green Mtn. Cog Railway on Mt. Desert Island in Maine. When that operation closed, she was acquired by the Mt. Washington Railway Company. Although she's probably been rebuilt so many times that little if anything is still original, she's still a historic artifact. To put her on eBay is a sacrilege and says everything about whats going on up there. I have heard that there were museums interested in her, but they were not willing to PAY for the artifact.

As for the status of the Mt. Washington Steam Engines, here is what I know, based on observations from the last 12 months:

#1: "Mt. Washington" - retired many years ago. Sits decaying behind the shop. Parts of her are collapsing into themselves.

#2: "Ammonoosuc" - still operational and has run in 2009. Has the feedwater heater modification and uses less coal than the other engines.

#3 "Agiocochook" - for sale on eBay. The story circulating is that this engine did not pass the boiler inspection and needed repairs. The railway has elected not to repair her and to dispose of her on eBay.

#4 "Chocorua" - still operational and has run in 2009. Uses the tender and cab from the retired #8 and carries the name "Moosilauke". The number on the steam dome is the give-away that what you see is a lash-up.

#6 "Kancamagus" - still operational and has been used in 2009, at least on work trains. Is often seen in the yard with the work train attached.

#8 "Moosilauke" - retired at the end of 2007 and stripped for parts. This engine does not have as much historical value as the others as it was built new in 1983. The boiler and frame sit out in back of the shop.

#9 "Waumbek" - the workhorse for 2009. Is equipped with the feedwater heater mod and burns less coal than the other engines. This engine was running during all 3 of my visits this year.

#10 "Kro-Flite" - still operational and has been a hot spare during a couple of my visits. Like #8, she doesn't have as much history, having been built new at MWRC in 1972.

Based on my observations, there are 5 operable steamers left on Mt. Washington. Just how many of them will continue to survive beyond 2009 is a real question mark. The appearance of one of these machines on eBay certainly does not seem to bode well for them.

/Kevin
Subject Author Posted

M&PP Ry Steam

rackrail October 05, 2009 09:48PM

o anderson October 05, 2009 10:49PM

dandtsrr2 October 06, 2009 12:53AM

rackrail October 06, 2009 05:25AM

Ed Stabler October 06, 2009 06:05AM

jalbers October 06, 2009 09:47AM

cdaspit October 06, 2009 09:56AM

jalbers October 06, 2009 10:15AM

cdaspit October 06, 2009 10:55AM

Jim Armstrong October 06, 2009 11:08AM

jalbers October 06, 2009 11:33AM

cdaspit October 06, 2009 11:41AM

jalbers October 06, 2009 11:46AM

WalterS October 06, 2009 11:56AM

Will Gant October 06, 2009 03:15PM

guymonmd October 06, 2009 11:56AM

guymonmd October 06, 2009 11:57AM

AGreene October 06, 2009 02:09PM

Just Goes To Show...

Steve Singer October 06, 2009 02:57PM

Jim October 06, 2009 05:38PM

Re: M&PP Ry Steam Attachments

rackrail October 06, 2009 05:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login