Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Once a poor steamer, always a poor steamer?

Kelly Anderson
September 25, 2001 03:55PM
"The remarks about the WP&YR #69 being a poor steamer have made me wonder if over the years, due to repairs, etc. can/does a steam locomotive go from being a poor steamer to a good one or vice versa?"
What hasn’t been discussed, and what very often changes the steaming habits of any particular engine is the drafting arrangement. Or how much air gets to the fire. Over the years of routine maintenance, each time the front end is removed and replaced for boiler work, if it goes back in a little bit different each time, the drafting can change enough to effect performance.
At the other end, the amount of air that the ashpan allows into the fire has the same effect. A number of years ago, we were hired to overhaul a medium sized 2-8-0 that had been labeled a poor steamer for many years. In the midst of replacing the tube sheet, with all of the grates removed, I stuck my head in the firedoor to talk to the man in there. Glancing down into the ashpan, it struck me that there was not a single air inlet hole in the entire ashpan! The only hole of any sort was the hole for the grate shaker rods! The ashpan had been replaced by the previous operators, whose only priority apparently was to stop embers from falling out onto the track. With proper air openings in the ashpan, and a new “Master Mechanics” front end, that engine became a breeze to fire.
If someone of limited understanding tries to modify the drafting arrangement, they can do a lot of harm without too much effort. On the other hand, much progress has been made recently by Porta and others on upgrading performance through better drafting. In Wardale’s book on the South African “Red Devil” locomotive, he talks about a narrow gage 2-8-4 I believe that he modified the drafting on. He spoke about one long grade that would take 90 minutes for that class of engine to climb with their standard tonnage. The modified engine took standard tonnage up that grade in 50 minutes. It seems very possible to increase the maximum sustained horsepower of just about any locomotive by 50% to 75% by these methods. So just because an engine has a history of poor steaming, it doesn’t have to stay that way.
Subject Author Posted

Once a poor steamer, always a poor steamer?

Kevin September 24, 2001 08:43PM

Bruce Pryor September 24, 2001 10:12PM

George B. September 24, 2001 10:34PM

69 was built a slide valved soak(saturated) *NM*

Paul D September 25, 2001 08:31AM

69 was built superheated

Bruce Pryor September 25, 2001 05:33PM

Re: 69 was built superheated

Paul D September 26, 2001 10:48AM

Mik September 25, 2001 08:04AM

Jim Adams September 25, 2001 09:18AM

Kelly Anderson September 25, 2001 03:55PM

Brian Norden September 25, 2001 07:09PM

Scott Green September 25, 2001 09:54PM

Mik September 25, 2001 10:23PM

Herb Kelsey September 30, 2001 03:25PM

Shane Roberts October 01, 2001 03:48PM

Tom Shreve September 26, 2001 09:36AM

C.H.Irvin September 27, 2001 09:02AM

Jim Adams September 28, 2001 06:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.