Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reflections

September 03, 2008 08:55AM avatar
With all the tumult that has occurred on this board within the last few months, I think it is time for a little reflection.

That an all out bru-ha-ha has been triggered by how the trim on 489 is painted amazes me. The trim painting is not the real issue, it is a disagreement concerning how far the C&TS should go to represent history as an operating museum. The pendulum swings from those who say we should just be happy that the RR is up and running to those who want the RR to exactly represent the D&RG/D&RGW down to the minute details.

The answer lies somewhere between these extremes, and the pendulum will always be swinging somewhat between the two depending on who is in charge, what the priority of the day is, and what is necessary to keep the RR alive.

Pragmatists like John Bush, who have hands on experience with the difficult task of keeping the locomotives running, are going to be less concerned with a stray paint brush and more concerned about shop budgets, equipment, and track conditions. The color of track ballast is not going to be his concern so much as the fact that ballast is there and the track is smooth so his locomotive work is not quickly undone. (hope I am not putting words into your mouth, John).

Historians like Jerry Day experienced the railroad first hand and likely have vivid memories and experiences unlike any of us who came later. They want the rider to have as closely as possible the true historic experience that they had. He is a historian who sees an era passing by, where first hand experience and knowledge is slipping away, and wants to capture and record as much of it as possible.

There will always be disagreements on how such things are handled. The issue is: will we handle the disagreements with character? Ranting and raving, although it makes the individual who is venting feel better (maybe), is of no benefit for anyone else on the board. To attack an individual for expressing his opinion is not appropriate. If you want me to respect your position, please respect mine. It boils down to the old "Golden Rule".

People, lets make it easier for Don Richter, who graciously has provided this forum for us to DISCUSS the subject we are all fascinated by -- narrow gauge railroading -- and be gracious to one another, agreeing to disagree.

I will miss Jerry and Roger. They both have unique perspectives. Jerry possesses a wealth of historical knowledge that will sorely be missed. Roger is on the ground in Chama and has a view into the day to day goings on. It is this board's loss.

Respectfully,

Scott Green
Subject Author Posted

Reflections

Festus September 03, 2008 08:55AM

Re: Reflections - 2 cents

kwilcomb September 03, 2008 09:31AM

Re: Reflections

Herb Kelsey September 03, 2008 03:31PM

Bill Dennehy September 03, 2008 03:58PM

"Procedural" Challenges

John West September 03, 2008 06:02PM

Re: "Procedural" Challenges

Russo Loco September 03, 2008 07:26PM

Re: "Procedural" Challenges

geode September 04, 2008 12:42PM

doodlebug September 06, 2008 07:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login