Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

30 Years

October 07, 2004 09:57AM
Much to my regret, I was not able to attend the last day of operation of the Georgetown Loop Railroad. Being one of the remaining few who worked for the Loop for its first full season in 1976, it was a difficult event to miss, but family has always come first.
I lament the fact that the CHS has been so short sighted in its perspective on the Loop and wish Railstar the best because they are going to need it. Railstar has some mighty big shoes to fill and two years at the Erie Canal Village is not, in my opinion, "Extensive Steam Operation" as the CHS so boldly proclaims. It seems that the CHS is busier convincing itself of its own inaccurate Press statements than it is in operating the property. Despite what the great Railstar Champion "Steve" says, the proof will be evident on opening day of May, 2005.
Thirty years of Loop Operation. What is 30 years? It's considered by Genealogists to be a full generation. Think about it... there are people 30 years old out there who have never seen the Loop witout rails on it.
30 years is 29 years longer than the existence of the original Denver, South Park and Pacific Railway. 30 years is 14 years longer than the existence of the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad. 30 years is 21 years longer than the existence of the Denver, Leadville & Gunnison Railroad. 30 years is 2 years longer than the existence of the all three, combined. 30 years is 9 years longer than existence of the Original Georgetown, Breckenridge and Leadville Railroad. 30 years is 27 years longer than existence of the Colorado Central and Pacific Railroad. 30 years is 9 years longer than existence of the Colorado Central Railroad. 30 years is 22 years longer than existence of the Union Pacific, Denver & Gulf Railroad. 30 years is 1 year longer than existence of the UPD&G and CC combined.
To put it in terms that you D&RGW fans can understand, 30 years is 20 years longer than existence of the Denver, Northwestern & Pacific. 30 years is 14 years longer than existence of the Denver & Rio Grande Railway. 30 years is 10 years longer than existence of the first Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. 30 years is 14 years longer than existence of the second Denver & Rio Grande Railroad.
30 years is 20 years longer than existence of the Colorado Midland Railway of 1883. 30 years is 26 years longer than existence of the Colorado Midland Railroad of 1893. 30 years is 10 years longer than existence of the Colorado Midland Railway of 1897. 30 years is 24 years longer than existence of the Colorado Midland Railroad of 1917. 30 years is 16 years longer than existence of the Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek District RR. 30 years is 13 years longer than existence of the Cripple Creek & Colorado Springs RR. 30 years is 17 years longer than existence of the Colorado & North-Western Ry. 30 years is 20 years longer than existence of the Denver, Boulder & Western RR. 30 years is 3 years longer than existence of the Crystal River RR.
The past 30 years has provided for the growing good reputation of the Geortetown Loop RR operation. From the question "Where?" and almost causing accidents on eastbound I-70 in 1976 (due to surprised motorists slamming on their brakes). The Loop has become, under the Ashby's and Greksa's guidance, a Colorado institution known world wide. The operation enabled the Ashby's to be so well considered that Lindsey was elected the President of the Tourist Railroad Industry Association (TRAIN). Through their hard work and perseverence, the Loop operation went from "where?" to "You Operate THAT property... I'm very impressed".
Surely, Lindsey Ashby and crew deserve a place in the annals of Colorado Narrow Gauge history. They ceased operation only when the greed of a few unscrupulous individuals became too much for them to bear, and rather than knuckle under and give in, chose to go out as winners.
The true losers will be the State of Colorado, with its record budget deficits, its Taxpayers and its Educational System, which is where the CHS gets its funding.
To my old friends the Ashby's and the Greksa's I wish nothing but the best. It's hard to start over and from scratch, but if anybody can do it, you can.
To the CHS, I hope that you rest well in the bed of thorns that you have made for yourself. God Help you, you're going to need it.
Rick Steele
Subject Author Posted

30 Years

Rick Steele October 07, 2004 09:57AM

Re: 30 Years

Mike Trent October 07, 2004 06:11PM

Ron Keiser October 07, 2004 10:56PM

Mike Trent October 08, 2004 07:08AM

Tim Schreiner October 08, 2004 09:55AM

Re: 30 Years and my thoughts

Mike Ramsey October 08, 2004 05:23PM

Re: 30 Years and my thoughts

Mike Trent October 08, 2004 06:11PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.