Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: TUT SL&RG charter - Brief report

May 05, 2008 06:18PM avatar

I heard that the Sunday trip didn't go very well, clouds and delays.

Actually, we had a certain measure of delays and frustrations on both days, but let me put all of that in context...

A lot of people had to work very, very hard to make this last weekend at all possible, and my hat's off to all of them BIGTIME for making this weekend happen for a bunch of enthusiasts. What the SL&RG is doing down there in Alamosa is something very special, particularly in this day and age. I hope that everyone who can will get out and support them this season so that what they're doing can continue to happen.

My hat's also off to Ron Burkhard of TUT. If Ron's running the show and you don't have a good time, well, it's your fault. My thanks to Ron for a very good time indeed, with more than a few good laughs thrown into the bargain.

Specific to Sunday, yes we had some clouds in the afternoon, and some delays, but we also had some wonderful early morning light east of La Veta, and more than a few memorable moments on the return trip in the afternoon.

No pics from me yet, and with my schedule right now, probably not for some time to come. After being a very early adopter of digital SLR shooting (I started with my first dSLR body in 2001), I've gone back to film almost exclusively. Yes, it takes more time and effort, but some things are worth waiting for.

On a personal note, my Alamosa luck from last year continues. Last fall it was a brake line and water pump in my jeep. This year, I stole my wife's Eclipse for the trip down, and returned on the train to a flat tire which couldn't be repaired - sidewall damage. The little "donut" spare wouldn't get me home, and the GT's odd tire size was not to be had in Alamosa, but some good folks at the Alamosa Firestone store got on the phone and found a tire at Reed's in La Jara. Who'd a thunk it. BTW, I can highly recommend Reed's when you're in a bind. Man, I just continue to be impressed with all of the good folks I meet down there in the SLV. There're some businesses down there where customer service is still very much alive and well.

Scott
Subject Author Posted

Rio Grande on La Veta Pass-TUT

Jim May 05, 2008 07:03AM

Re: Rio Grande on La Veta Pass-TUT

nzachman May 05, 2008 07:24AM

Jim May 05, 2008 09:05AM

John West May 05, 2008 11:03AM

Scott Turner May 05, 2008 06:18PM

nzachman May 05, 2008 07:20PM

Scott Turner May 05, 2008 08:23PM

rackrail May 05, 2008 04:56PM

Steve Hughes May 05, 2008 09:54PM

Re: Rio Grande on La Veta Pass-TUT Attachments

John West May 05, 2008 10:56PM

John West May 05, 2008 10:59PM

John West May 05, 2008 11:02PM

Scott Turner May 06, 2008 07:26AM

Earl May 06, 2008 08:52PM

Ryan Shofner May 06, 2008 10:06PM

WilliamDiehl May 08, 2008 07:20PM

Tim Schreiner May 08, 2008 07:26PM

Rio Grande on La Veta Pass - How far east?

Dave Boyer May 09, 2008 09:01AM

Re: Rio Grande on La Veta Pass - How far east?

Scott Turner May 09, 2008 01:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login