Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Roswell turntable question

January 27, 2008 07:57AM avatar
Bob, I can't answer that question since I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the Springs since the early 70s, but I well remember the CRI&P roundhouse at Roswell. It was a neat, two or three stall affair with the turntable.

The C. Springs section of the Rocky Mt. Rocket in steam days was often pulled by a smallish 4-6-2 but I never saw them turn it on that turntable. The Rocket's power and consist was serviced and turned there, and then sent back south to the D&RGW Depot the next morning for eastbound departure. I believe the whole train was turned on the wye there. I do know the engine was sometimes uncoupled and run across the table into a stall in the roundhouse, but I don't know if this was SOP, or if it was only when something needed attention.

There was often a caboose stored in one of the stalls as well, and when I got a bit older and was able to prowl the roundhouse with a couple other kids, we were often invited to sit up in the cupola and cool off on hot summer days. Never got a ride in it, though. Fun times, I wish I had appreciated it then as much as I do now.

Ed
Subject Author Posted

NNG - Colorado Springs

Festus January 25, 2008 04:18PM

Re: NNG - Colorado Springs

ND Holmes January 25, 2008 04:52PM

Ed Stabler January 26, 2008 06:11AM

Festus January 26, 2008 03:23PM

Ed Stabler January 26, 2008 03:58PM

ND Holmes January 26, 2008 09:56PM

Ed Stabler January 27, 2008 05:23AM

Roswell turntable question

bobyar2001 January 27, 2008 06:13AM

Re: Roswell turntable question

Ed Stabler January 27, 2008 07:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login