Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SVRy: How fast did they go?

January 13, 2008 01:20PM avatar
Southpark, you are quite right. My elderly neighbor grew up around Hereford which is a small community down the Burnt River that is quite a distance off of the SVRy. Probably as the crow flies it is closer to Baker than Whitney, but Dooley Mtn. lies in between. She said when they went to the "big city" Baker, they would ride horseback which I assume was an all day ride to Whitney to catch the SVRy pass. train. In later days of course a road was built over Dooley that became a highway today, and this is the road that the SVRy trucks took from Bates that supplanted the SVRy rr mainline. As you point out, after spending hours horseback, the SVRy passenger train was a rocket!

Martin, thanks for posting the neat photo. I had not seen a photo of that wreck. That looks like the big cut that is at about MP 32. If so, the cut was done as a grade revision late 1916 or early 1917. That must have been a scary situation for the engine crew because within the cut, there wouldn't have been a safe place "to joint the birds".

Casey Carlson in one of his interviews with the late Elvin Endicott does mention that Elvin's uncle got fired from the SVRy for running too fast on the pass. train, such that he clobbered a farmers "prize" bull with the engine and the quote as I recall it was they were going so fast that when they hit the bull, it's parts came through the cab windows.
Subject Author Posted

SVRy: How fast did they go?

J.B.Bane January 12, 2008 08:52PM

South Park January 13, 2008 01:19AM

Re: SVRy: How fast did they go? Attachments

LOGGERHOGGER January 13, 2008 06:04AM

DaveM January 13, 2008 08:48AM

bcarswell January 13, 2008 08:56AM

J.B.Bane January 13, 2008 01:20PM

El Skonk January 13, 2008 02:43PM

South Park January 14, 2008 12:13AM

Jim Grigsby January 14, 2008 08:59AM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. January 14, 2008 10:58AM

Curtis_F January 14, 2008 10:15AM

J.B.Bane January 14, 2008 12:36PM

South Park January 14, 2008 10:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login