Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Caboose Grab Iron Colors *LINK*

April 16, 2007 11:56AM
I am trying to verify the colors of the grab irons and ladders etc on D&RGW cabooses in the late 30's.
Looking at information in the 2006 Narrow Gauge Annual, it states that cabooses were painted red with black iron work until around 1918. At that time, it states that the exterior color was changed to boxcar red as was the iron work. There is also a comment that the shops started painting ladders, grab irons and railings white or aluminum in the late 1930's.
Looking at R. Robb's Narrow Gauge Pictorial on D&RGW cabooses, it is very hard to ascertain whether grab irons etc. were box car red or possibly black into the 1930's. Some of the iron work in the B&W pictures appears darker than the box car red car body. There is a possibility that the wood has faded and the iron work is still a darker boxcar red color.
I have a couple of San Juan caboooses but the iron work that comes with the kit has some noticeable defects in the castings. Painting them a darker color instead of white or aluminum sure would help to hide the defects. I painted the ironwork black but then got into a discussion as to whether that is correct.
Does anyone have any comments or information to substantiate the grab iron, railings and ladder colors in the late 1930's. My models are currently of 0575 and 0577 with 0517 still in the box.
Regards...
Dave Burroughs
Hamilton, ON.
Subject Author Posted

Caboose Grab Iron Colors *LINK*

Dave Burroughs April 16, 2007 11:56AM

Re: Caboose Grab Iron Colors

William Reed April 16, 2007 12:25PM

Nick Gully April 16, 2007 12:40PM

Jerry Day April 16, 2007 01:24PM

Greg B. April 16, 2007 02:07PM

Mike Trent April 16, 2007 08:15PM

Rod Jensen April 16, 2007 10:11PM

Re: Caboose Grab Iron Colors *LINK*

Dave Burroughs April 17, 2007 10:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login