Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Switching Challenges

September 27, 2007 10:27AM
Related to the thread about the roundhouse location and switching moves around a wye with a draw in it, I offer up another switching challenge that sounds simple on the surface but becomes complicated when you add in all the variables. It's not necessarily narrow gauge, but it could be. I'm sure several of us are sick enough to actually enjoy working out puzzles like this. Here goes:
You have a 12 car passenger train with 2 locomotives at the end of it's run. The train must be turned for it's run tomorrow. Simple, huh? Here are the catches: you have the mainline and the wye to work with; no yard tracks. The tail of the wye will hold 3 cars and a locomotive, or 4 cars. The train must be in the same order as when you started, just turned to go the other way. Some other things to add to the fun: there's a grade crossing about halfway through the wye tail track that can't be blocked for extended periods. You've already been on duty for 10 hours and must complete this move before you go dead. It's just you and the engineer, the service staff is still on board the train, it's dark and it's raining.

This scenario is from an actual experience of mine working as a conductor on a passenger train in California in 1985 (the railroad was the Eureka Southern, the train the North Coast Daylight). Have fun!
Subject Author Posted

Switching Challenges

PhilJ September 27, 2007 10:27AM

Re: Switching Challenges

Herb Kelsey September 27, 2007 11:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login