Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: D&S Fall Photo Special/La Veta Pass Steam Special

September 23, 2007 03:25PM avatar
Trains Unlimited Tours charter on the SLRG went well (at least from the front side of the lens). On 9/20 we ran a mixed train over the hill with one coach as a rider car. The frieght equipment was general service stuff I dug out of the yard based on: 1. size (no 70+ foot lumber flats, please), 2. general condition, 3. lack of graffitti. Condition 3 was the big problem. I think I ended up with the only 6 cars in Alamosa that weren't tagged - and SLC reefer has some scrawlings on one side. Consist was SLC reefer, covered hopper (from the cement plant in Ala), a DRGW open hopper, 2 CLAX open hoppers (from the lava rock pool in Antonito) and a ratty UP mill gon.
It wasn't great, but it was the best I could find.

1744 is ready for today's pre-dawn departure - as soon as the engineer gets done taking pictures.

1744 greets the dawn at MP 245 where we attempted a runby with a narrow slot of sun - which we lost in a matter of seconds.

1744 and Mt Blanca

At Ft Garland we instructed to stop and pick up a late passenger. There, standing by the track looking totally pissed off was on Jeff Stebbins "they told me the train left at 7:15..." We loaded him on the engine and highballed east.

Looking back at our rag-tag consist at MP 221

We did a couple of runbys at the loop below Fir. Here is the first one.

...and the next one

From Fir we dropped down the hill to La Veta, watered, serviced and turned 1744 in about 30 minutes and got her back on the head of the train in time for 456 to roll in with the regular train.
\

1744 gets ready to head west as soon as her engineer gets done taking his damned pictures...

First runby out of La Veta was at Occidental Siding.

1744 attempts to blow the roof out of the lower tunnel.

Shortly after the tunnel, the rain started. The next runby was around the bend from the tunnel on one of the hardest pulls on the hill. 1744 dug in and pulled with all she had while trying to keep her feet on the wet rail.

I'll save day 2 for another post.
Subject Author Posted

D&S Fall Photo Special/La Veta Pass Steam Special

olarmy September 23, 2007 12:33PM

Earl September 23, 2007 03:25PM

Earl September 23, 2007 03:40PM

olarmy September 23, 2007 03:48PM

RichB September 23, 2007 05:43PM

HOD Bill September 23, 2007 07:48PM

Earl September 23, 2007 03:57PM

Chris Callaway September 23, 2007 06:14PM

Mike B September 23, 2007 06:47PM

george pearce September 23, 2007 08:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login