Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Narrow Gauge Convention, Portland Maine

September 06, 2007 06:57PM
I was there, and enjoyed Portland, which is a cross between tourist hotspot and rustbelt detritus. The Maine Narrow Gauge Museum is truly a great collection of equipment, and its trip on old mainline trackage is very scenic, trundling along Casco Bay. I also went out to ride the Wiscasset line, and was very impressed at the all-volunteer effort,its great trackwork, and how they stepped right along at 15-20 mph with their beautiful little Vulcan Forney, which started out in the cane breaks of Louisiana. The crews on both little roads were gracious to us visitors. The seaside towns of Wiscassett and Bath are postard-beautiful.The weather was excellent, and the convention put on a lobster bake on Peak Island, across the bay from Portland. the Convention was very well-attended. Logistics were problematic as the hotel had no parking except for guests and Portland's parking situation was atrocious. Of course, El Coke and Laurie love sea food so we gorged, a high point was a bucket of steamed clams and a Bombay Blue martini on the waterfront.

As I was working, peddling my art I was not able to attend clinics or even make it to the contest room, though I heard there was a record number of entries, especially photos. the list of clinics looked great.

The usual suspects were in attendance. We joked the the orcas in the bay looked hungry and we agreed that Dan Pyzel would be a great offering. Jim Booth and I couldn't stop laughing on the trip back from Wiscasset. Best not to say about what.

The trade show was the usual. Offerings from scenery outfits is getting better. Way too much 1:20.3 large scale stuff, a bit of Sn3, and little in the way of HOn3. A big hit was a virtual model railroad computer program. Manufacturers agreed that not much money was being dropped at this show, which is typical of Northeast shows anyway. I had a first-no cash receipts-all credit cards. I didn't make a whole lot, but had an expense paid vacation to Maine. All in all the show seemed well-run. "down Mainers" are not as friendly at the outset as Westerners, but were fine once you started talking to them. I wish the NNGC oArganizers woyuld get off the idea of having these shows Labor Day Weekend! Everything is cheaper and easier to deal with a week after this end-of-summer holiday.
Subject Author Posted

Narrow Gauge Convention, Portland Maine

Steve G. September 06, 2007 10:17AM

Sandiapaul September 06, 2007 10:38AM

Dave Johnson September 07, 2007 11:54AM

tomc September 07, 2007 01:29PM

El Coke September 06, 2007 06:57PM

geode September 07, 2007 08:08AM

El Coke September 11, 2007 09:56AM

Todd Hohlenkamp September 07, 2007 08:36AM

geode September 07, 2007 12:15PM

Todd Hohlenkamp September 10, 2007 01:32PM

Sandiapaul September 11, 2007 06:11PM

Political correctness and this board

El Coke September 11, 2007 07:22PM

Re: Political correctness and this board

geode September 12, 2007 05:25AM

Too controversial? Please...

El Coke September 12, 2007 08:12AM

Re: Too controversial? How about this ...

Rick Steele September 13, 2007 10:05AM

Rick, there actually is hope...

El Coke September 13, 2007 12:53PM

Re: Rick, there actually is hope...

davegrandt September 13, 2007 01:45PM

On30 spill-over?

El Coke September 13, 2007 04:14PM

Re: Too controversial? How about this ...

geode September 13, 2007 02:15PM

jcpatten September 07, 2007 10:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login