Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: More Bodie & Benton Questions

August 07, 2007 12:17PM
As far as I can tell they graded, but never laid rails on the Benton Extension. The logging branches (there were at least two) were south of Mono Mills, across today’s highway.

Bodie’s boom only lasted 4 years, but the town had a long productive period, up to nearly WWII. The lines traffic was mostly firewood, with a smaller traffic in mine timbers. The town of Bodie is pretty high at 8,400 feet (above tree line). Its cold. Firewood was used for both home heating and for fuel for the mills. The Standard Mill at Bodie was electrified in 1893 in one of the first long distance power transmission projects (at 12.5 miles).

Other goods inbound, and the mine products were shipped via wagon. Bodie was gold country, and is much more easily processed than silver or lead bearing ores.

The lime kiln is small, only one oven, and some distance away from the railroad (200 yards + from memory) and probably gave its name to the site, but did not ship via the line (it did not have a spur)

There were 4 locomotives, a Baldwin, 2 Union Iron works, and a really ugly Porter Tank engine…. Notes at home, also, their history has been confused in some of the published material, so be careful. It is possible that some of the locos gained or lost lead trucks…

Randy Hees
Subject Author Posted

More Bodie & Benton Questions

Chile John August 06, 2007 07:20AM

bcp August 06, 2007 08:54AM

Re: More Bodie & Benton Questions Attachments

davegrandt August 06, 2007 09:31AM

Chile John August 06, 2007 09:50AM

davegrandt August 06, 2007 09:52AM

Chile John August 06, 2007 09:59AM

davegrandt August 06, 2007 10:17AM

davegrandt August 20, 2007 04:40PM

Randy Hees August 07, 2007 12:17PM

Brian Norden August 07, 2007 10:08PM

Re: More Bodie & Benton Builders Plate Attachments

LOGGERHOGGER August 08, 2007 07:24AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login