Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More wasted $$$ Reproduction C&S 9

June 08, 2007 09:53AM
I believe that this discussion was brought up nearly three years ago. When the #9 was first listed as being considered for a rebuild. Arguments for and against the use of historically preserved locos was bashed here. One of the main discussions was the extended use of the #9 as the primary motive power for the loop.
How much of those discussions have finally come true? The size of the train that the #9 could haul? The number of trains that would be neccessary to meet the demands of crowds that the former operator GLR Inc had handled? The steep mountain grades and the wear and tear on this machine and it's required maintenance? Also the cost of replacing #9 with a replica?
Let not mention the possible use of C&S #74, #71 and #60. Also the rental of these locos was to be a day of free rides for citizens for providing use of the locos for each of these cities. A whole lot of big talk and little action. Now look at all the money that has been spend to patch up the #9 and build new cars. A lot of money for buying #12 also. Critics also warned of the poor maintenance on it before it came to Colorado also.
So much waste, corruption and mismangement. It makes some of the problems that I see in Latin American Countries look amaturish. Gringos have a way of doing better, bigger and badder when they put their pointy heads together. On top of all this it seems that CHS is teflon coated and all the blame seems to wash away.
I think at this point in time a replacement replica would be throwing more good money at a bad situation. Also the costs of a $1 million plus price range make it more than keeping #9 running with rebuilds over the next 10-20 years.
One big question. Does #9 have to meet FRA Form 4 requirements? I was a railroad club meeting last night and the manager of the NKP 587 grant writing was there from Indianapolis said that since they do not interchange, but they are still under FRA. She wondered how the Loop was exempt or is it? I said that they didn't cross any state or federal highways, is this part of it?
Dale Brown
Now back in KY.
Subject Author Posted

Reproduction C&S 9

Ken June 08, 2007 05:37AM

Re: Reproduction C&S 9

Bill Dennehy June 08, 2007 05:47AM

Re: Reproduction C&S 9 *LINK* *PIC*

Kelly Anderson June 08, 2007 06:12AM

Charlie McCandless June 08, 2007 06:52AM

Kelly Anderson June 08, 2007 08:01AM

Al Mather June 08, 2007 07:07AM

Pat June 08, 2007 09:28AM

Re: Reproduction C&S 9 *LINK*

Kelly Anderson June 08, 2007 10:04AM

More wasted $$$ Reproduction C&S 9

Dale Brown June 08, 2007 09:53AM

Re: More wasted $$$ Reproduction C&S 9

Dan Robirds June 08, 2007 10:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login