Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Could 315 run on the Loop?

May 25, 2007 10:04AM
I'd say that they'd be trading problem for problem. The Durango crew will need to spend this summer getting #315 fully functional and it's better for her to stay with that crew since they handled the rebuild and know her.
I think the Loop will need to have limited steam this year as they get the locomotives operational.
If the CHS is willing to fund additional restorations (and take a good look at the bids - experience, cost, etc.) I'd like to ask about the other two "local" C&S locomotives in Idaho Springs and Central City. Central City probably would not pitch a huge fit, like they did the last time, if the locomotive was moved to be put back in service. It might not be teh cause but I fell that they are too busy making money on tourists.
Who owns those locomotives now? Are they willing to put the equipment in service? What about the other equipment on display? Why not fix them up like the two coaches at the Colorado Railroad Museum were restored and put them in service? Build a historically accurate train?
I know money is the problem. But taking it one at a time, taking the time to do it right and getting them done we could see more equipment restored. Not only put in service BUT REPAIRED to live another 100 years!
But all I hope is they do not rush it but take their time and do it right. Perhaps they will surprise us and involve other live steam railroads who have also faced the daunting task of rebuilding antique locomotives such as the CATS or D&S or Strasburg, P.A.
Sorry. I'll get down off my soapbox now. I have my own mess of a railroad I need to get back to, including a diesel whose front axle changed gauge on me - left front wheel is now loose on the axle. Easy to do but SWMBO has kept me busy for the past 2 weeks and it's better to do her list first. I just can't haul wood by rail right now. Oh well.
Subject Author Posted

Could 315 run on the Loop? *LINK*

Steven Haworth May 25, 2007 08:56AM

Re: 315 on the Loop

Dave S. May 25, 2007 09:49AM

Robert Herronen May 25, 2007 10:04AM

Don Richter May 25, 2007 04:18PM

John Craft May 25, 2007 10:10AM

Fred T May 25, 2007 12:03PM

Nick Gully May 25, 2007 11:11AM

Donald Foster May 25, 2007 03:19PM

Fred Folk May 26, 2007 11:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login