Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C&S Enginemen, Displaced West Ender's

April 13, 2007 08:06PM
The C&S had four Divisions.
North and South were Broad Gauge.
East was narrow gauge to Como, and the Western division, or "West End" as it was known, ran West from Como to Leadville.
The only West End engineman in the 20's and 30's (before abandonment) that lived in Leadville was Charlie Williamson, who was killed on #75 in 1935. All other West End enginemen lived in Como. When the mainline was abandoned in 1937, only a very few of the West End guys went over to Leadville. Those included Brownie Anderson and Bon Osier. I think even Brownie had to fire some, even as senior as he was. The rest were out of work. Some worked for the scrappers, but once the rails were gone, that was it. I recall Doug as saying that East End guys could come up and work Leadville after they were out of work in '37. Naturally, the unemployed West End guys all thought it was unfair but any complaints fell on deaf ears. I don't think Leadville to Climax was considered an independant Division once Como was abandoned, as it had been before.
I recognize the names you mention, but I'd have to go back and look at my notes to see what I have, but I'd have to find them first. I know Charlie Thomas worked the west end prior to abandonment, because Doug fired for him frequently.
Clinton Eshe was the last promoted engineer on the West End, but he was promoted right near the end, and never worked for the C&S again.
The Speas brothers, Sam, Frank and Clarence, all worked out of Denver. All enginemen on the East End maintained their seniority in Denver along with all of the guys who worked the North and South divisions. It was very difficult and in some cases quite impossible for the displaced West End guys to work their way onto the board in Denver.
By the way, all Trainmen on the West End, all of them, lived in Leadville.
Train Days in Como were very busy. four days a week, up to eight engines came into or left from Como, half going in each direction.
It is not accurate to say that the next day all of those guys were out of work, because all of the East End guys stayed on the Board in Denver, and could hold whatever they could get, and a few went to Leadville. It was the guys with the least seniority in Como that fell on hard times. After some hardscrabble times with the scrappers and Cooley Brothers Construction in Como, Doug went to work in Denver for BF Goodrich or Goodyear. He said it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to him.
Subject Author Posted

Cumbres, April 12, 1937 (C&S)

Jim McKee April 12, 2007 07:14AM

Re: Cumbres, April 12, 1937 (C&S)

L. E. Trump April 12, 2007 02:35PM

Jim McKee April 12, 2007 04:00PM

Charlie McCandless April 12, 2007 08:53PM

Jim McKee April 13, 2007 05:54AM

Charlie McCandless April 13, 2007 06:53AM

Jim McKee April 13, 2007 12:43PM

C&S Enginemen, Displaced West Ender's

Mike Trent April 13, 2007 08:06PM

C&S Enginemen

Charlie McCandless April 13, 2007 09:23PM

Re: C&S Enginemen

Mike Trent April 14, 2007 02:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login