Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Montrose

February 14, 2001 12:03AM
Several years ago, as a reporter in Montrose, I came across what were apparently copies of architectal drawings of the stucco depot in Montrose, with a lot of interesting detail. The city clerk's office received the plans as part of a state grant for refurbishing the depot, now a museum. I assume the city still has them somewhere, as would probably the historical society. The depot would make a great model, I think, as it appears unique for the Rio Grande. Was there a similar depot built elsewhere on the system?
The Montrose Potato Growers' Co-op elevator south of town on the west side of the tracks has been there for some time. Some research at the Denver Public Library's photo archive Web site on "montrose" will turn up several photos of the elevator, from (I think) the earliest being a flour mill, to later incarnations (note the large steel elevators that still exist today).
Another large elevator was located just across Main st. south of the depot, but was torn down about seven or eight years ago - in part at the behest of Union Pacific. I believe the enginehouse was located between these two elevators, possibly near where the abandoned power plant is now (where the coal is dumped on teh ground?) Always wondered.
I am a frequent "lurker" as work allows, and enjoy the informational threads. Thanks. Please keep it up!!
Subject Author Posted

Montrose

Josh Levine February 10, 2001 10:51PM

Doug Jolley February 11, 2001 09:22AM

Bill Pratt February 11, 2001 05:39PM

Doug Jolley February 12, 2001 09:24AM

s.jackson February 14, 2001 12:03AM

Doug Jolley February 14, 2001 12:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.