Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Chama Structures

February 10, 2001 10:44AM
Mark:
Two other sources for the map keys to the posting by John (bless him) can be found in two books. The first edition of Doris Osterwalds "Ticket to Toltec" has a Chama yard map from the RR dated revised to 1936 (which is not altogether correct as I can see changes that occured before then that are not included) but most of the items that are in John's AFE's are there, the track repair bldgs and the pit. The ice house is also still shown, just south of where the Wool Warehouse is now, but is lined out with white which seems to be the way they revised the drawings. It is an official RR track drawing which I would like to get a copy of. I don't know if it is one the Denver Public Library has or not. The short comings of the map are the mis-location of the track scale which by 1936 should have been shown in the western most track not the station house track, as this change was made in 1929. By the way the repair pit is still there although not in good shape as the walls were timber and have rotted badly. The buildings are gone as are the wheel ways which I think were about where the fill supports the dead engine storage track coming out of the new engine house to the east.
The other book which has the building keys in it is "Rio Grande Narrow Gauge in the Summer of 1941" by John Maxwell and charles Small. It has the same diagrams that John said that he was ordering from the Maxwell collection. It however does not show the track arrangement as the other drawing does but it has the building indexes for all the cities along the narrow gauge probably in 1941.
Thought this might help.
Frank
Subject Author Posted

Chama Structures

John Templeton February 08, 2001 08:26AM

Mark Stoeckel February 08, 2001 09:25AM

John Templeton February 08, 2001 10:06AM

Towne Comee February 09, 2001 06:32AM

John February 09, 2001 08:43AM

Frank Martindell February 10, 2001 10:58AM

John Templeton February 12, 2001 09:05AM

Frank Martindell February 10, 2001 10:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.