Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving the cheese *PIC*

August 09, 2006 02:09PM
In thinking and reading about the ongoing issues with Chama and its merchants, local politics, the RR/ town relationship plus discussions on this and other boards I am wondering if there is a better idea. Personally I really wouldn’t want to see Chama grow much bigger, trying to emulate the Durango/ D&S is a mistake IMHO and I doubt many locals would want this either. I think part of Chama’s charm was/ is that it is like a time capsule with minimal changes from its mid 1900’s look when it was a Rio Grande division point for the RR. Some locals would just as soon see the RR whither away and take the tourists with it. So a mixed bag of opinions and agendas to deal with no matter which way you move.
So now for just a moment let’s think like an "owner" of a tourist RR. I think it is a well documented fact that the 64 mile trip between Chama and Antonito takes too long for many of today’s tourists. So with track upgrades there is reason to believe that an approx. 3 hour one way trip would be feasible (based on the old San Juan schedule). So now instead of feeding passengers in Osier they could arrive (Westbound) in Chama in time for lunch. For many this will be the end of the line which puts them in Chama in the middle of the day for eating and shopping. A return bus to Antonito could still be provided that would have brought people from Antonito who want to ride Eastbound in the afternoon so they are in and about Chama in the AM for lunch/shopping too... Then the Westbound train departs in the afternoon for either a roundtrip train ride for some or a one way ride for the majority. Could one train set and crew make the roundtrip daily? It would be close but if Southwest Airlines can do it then so can the C&TS. LOL
So now back to the Chama connection. What if the Friends were to build a combination dining hall ala the Rio Grande’s Chama Eating House/ Hotel with an interpretive museum and gift shop and go after the tourist dollars like it was "their" business? I know the town folk will scream bloody murder but are they really serving the RR customer that well and giving the quality experience that is very much related to riding the train? Further, if the dining hall, museum and gift shop were open year round (volunteer staffing and synergies with Friends work session’s logistics) and if it was as profitable as I think it could be imagine the revenue stream this would provide the Friends. In fact, it would absolutely further our goal of maintaining the historic equipment and facilities of the RR (lettered and painted in authentic Rio Grande schemes of course) LOL. If the RR/ & hotels/ restaurants offered a package deal for an extended night stay I think any loss in direct revenue from the Friends "competing" with local merchants would be more than offset by the extra revenue generated from the additional visitors in and about town.
OK my 2 ½ cents out of the box thoughts for the day, offer up some comments, criticism or other ideas if this strikes a chord...
Rod
Subject Author Posted

Moving the cheese *PIC*

Rod Jensen August 09, 2006 02:09PM

Re: Moving the cheese

Steve Stockham August 09, 2006 02:58PM

Steve Stockham August 09, 2006 03:03PM

Rod Jensen August 09, 2006 03:24PM

Re: Moving the cheese *LINK*

Mike Euritt August 09, 2006 05:01PM

Rod Jensen August 09, 2006 08:49PM

Wayne Knape August 09, 2006 09:14PM

Rod Jensen August 10, 2006 02:02AM

El Veritas August 10, 2006 07:48AM

Chile John August 10, 2006 08:29AM

Wayne Knape August 10, 2006 10:11AM

Wayne Knape August 10, 2006 09:45AM

Rod Jensen August 10, 2006 02:55PM

Andy Roth August 12, 2006 09:52AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.