Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Outfit Car doings

August 09, 2006 12:31PM
Besides the car that I posted several pictures of below, there are some other cars in NG country that have kind of baffled me as to what they really are. They all have characteristics of outfit cars, but each one is a little different, and I'm posting links to photos of them to see if anyone has looked at these cars closer and can provide more info.
[users3.ev1.net]%7Eddye/04xxx_Welding_Shop.htm
This is one of two outfit car located at a welding shop just a little north of the Narrow Gauge Motel in Alamosa. I noticed in photos of this car that it has hinged doors on the end, and it got me to wondering if this car may be one of the 12 4400's converted to carry autos, and may have survived to become an outfit car despite what the D&RGW records say. You can kind of make out the hinged door on the left in the photo. It goes all the way across the end.
[users3.ev1.net]%7Eddye/04xxx_Airport_Rd.htm
This is a car located on Airport road at a shop on the east side of Alamosa. This car is in rough shape, and we couldn't examine it closely. It certainly looks like a 4000 series box to me, but, the end looks a little odd to me.
[users3.ev1.net]%7Eddye/04xxx_Jefferson_1st.htm
This is a car located in Manessa on the east side of town near Jefferson and 1st streets. This car has always seemd odd to me because it clearly is a NG car because of it's size, but it looks older (maybe just beat up more), but the trim and siding also look strange compared to most of the outfit cars I've found.
[users3.ev1.net]%7Eddye/lumbref1.htm
This is the car located on a hill on the south side of Lumberton. Dave thinks this car may be a reefer. When I looked at it closely, it looked more like an outfit car, but the construction reminds me of the car in Manessa listed above. In any case, it seems like something worthy to be inspected by someone who knows more about the construction of different cars, and can notice the little things that I often miss.
Subject Author Posted

Outfit Car doings

Grant Houston August 09, 2006 12:31PM

Re: Outfit Car doings

frank martindell August 11, 2006 10:42AM

Grant Houston August 11, 2006 01:14PM

Bill Pratt August 12, 2006 08:56PM

Dave Dye August 13, 2006 11:57AM

Dave Dye August 13, 2006 12:01PM

Chris Webster August 13, 2006 01:59PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.