Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Reply To 'George S.' *LINK*

August 09, 2006 06:12PM
[Note: More information is available on the website of the Colorado Historic Railroad Preservation Association (CHRRPA). Click on the link below.]
George S. : 'Poston stated: "Railstar is doing the best they can with what they were provided"'
JP: I did, and they are.
George S.: Why are you of the mind that Railstar wasn't expected to bring something to the table?
JP: Railstar *was* involved in the search for rolling stock. The difficulty was that - contrary to statements made by the Colorado Historical Society - *operable*, 3-foot-gauge, steam locomotives and ready-to-run, passenger-ready cars are few and far between. No steam railroad was willing to part with their *operable*, vintage motive power just to support the CHS’s last-minute efforts to show the world "The Train Is Alive In 2005." If memory serves, Railstar *did* take part in the evaluation of 2-6-2 #12 while it was in Idaho, and Jason Midyette and the Sumpter Valley converted existing narrow-gauge stock for passenger service.
George S.: They (Railstar) brought nothing.
JP: I wouldn't call Pete Gores and the Railstar contingent 'nothing'. Regarding equipment, Railstar's July 30, 2004 response to the CHS RFP states that Railstar 'realizes the Society is exploring motive power options at the time and we (Railstar) are continuing to contact any sources that we are familiar with.’
George S.: The concern in the change-over was lack of motive power.
JP: AND the lack of rolling stock, and the lack of experienced personnel, and the lack of a reservation system, and the lack of a track maintenance crew, and the lack of shop tools, and the lack of...well, George, I think you get the picture. You see, The Georgetown Loop Railroad, Inc. (aka 'the previous/former/original operator') owned and managed all of the stuff that made the trains go - including the trains. Railstar and CHS had to start from scratch. Be advised that #12 didn't arrive in Silver Plume until late March, giving Railstar less than eight weeks to prepare the locomotive for Opening Day.
George S.: Public statements made by Railstar to acquire motive power all turned out to be bunk.
JP: See the above.
George S.: According to a Loop employee, your friend Lee Baarens -instigator of the Loop debacle, will be the General Manager of Railstar next year since he is retiring from the CHS at the end of this year.
JP: 1) There are two "e's", one "h", and no "a's" in the Loop Park Director's last name. I'll leave it to you to cypher out how to arrange them.
2) You take *immense* liberty in assuming the LPD is my 'friend'. He is not.
3) If said LPD will be Railstar's GM next year, a) you obviously have sources I don’t, and b) you'll probably see the character of one organization improve, and the other do the opposite. Your choice, George, as to which is which.
George S.: The saga continues..
JP: Indeed it does.
Again, compliments to Railstar, Uhrich Locomotive Works, and all the people who put their hearts into the railroad.
"Take care of the railroad, and the railroad will take care of you." -Pete Gores, c. 2005
Jim Poston, President,
Colorado Historic Railroad Preservation Association
Subject Author Posted

Loop No. 12 broken axle?

Skip Luke August 07, 2006 04:44PM

Re: Loop No. 12 broken axle?

John Farrell August 08, 2006 03:51PM

Chris Webster August 08, 2006 04:47PM

Skip Luke August 08, 2006 05:03PM

Sammy D August 08, 2006 05:46PM

Chris Webster August 08, 2006 06:22PM

George S. August 08, 2006 06:38PM

Sammy D August 08, 2006 06:44PM

Jim Poston August 08, 2006 07:29PM

Sammy D August 08, 2006 07:50PM

George S. August 08, 2006 08:44PM

Howard August 08, 2006 10:22PM

A Reply To 'George S.' *LINK*

Jim Poston August 09, 2006 06:12PM

Re: A Reply To 'George S.'

Skip Luke August 10, 2006 07:45PM

Re: A Reply To 'George S.'

Mike Stillwell August 11, 2006 06:19AM

Re: Loop No. 12 broken axle? *LINK*

Chris Webster August 09, 2006 07:21PM

Shane Schabow August 08, 2006 09:07PM

Skip Luke August 09, 2006 04:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.