Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SL&RG rare mileage gone

Dennis
July 02, 2006 07:15PM
I rode Alamosa-Antonito round trip on May 31, the first week of the operation. There were only two passengers (my wife and I) riding to Antonito to connect with the C&TS for the Osier trip. At Antonito, two other passengers boarded for the daytrip to La Veta and return. The same equipment (F40M and three cars) was used on both trains (Alamosa-Antonito and Alamosa-La Veta).
The conductor said that day that the Alamosa-Antonito train did not run 5/29 and 5/30 because there were no passenger bookings. It was the first week after all! I got the impression the Antonito train did run Memorial Day weekend.
There were no obvious slow orders on the morning trip to Antonito except at the Conejos River bridge. Returning that evening there were other slow orders. The following day I saw one or two track crews out working on the Antonito line.
Not sure of ridership beyond that first week or if the service is still offered as bookings arise.
It's a neat idea to connect with the ng train that way. It just needs better patronage.
Subject Author Posted

SL&RG rare mileage gone

PRSL July 02, 2006 07:19AM

Denver Post Article Re: SL&RG rare mileage gone *LINK* *PIC*

Chris Webster July 02, 2006 09:35AM

rg479 July 02, 2006 10:16AM

Dennis July 02, 2006 07:15PM

earl July 03, 2006 11:33AM

Thanks Earl *NM*

Philip H. Walters July 03, 2006 11:43AM

t bone July 03, 2006 02:04PM

Re: SL&RG rare mileage IS NOT gone

PRSL July 04, 2006 09:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.