Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: D&RGW Stockcars...

Phil Hackman
March 10, 2006 09:35AM
When originally built in '03/04, the stock cars looked significantly different than they do now. The ends were originally sheathed, just like a boxcar.
The side boards were a different pattern. From top to bottom, they had three narrow boards (6"?) then a wide board (12")(where the lettering was applied), then the lowere boards were the same way; three narrow boards followed by a wide board at the very bottom. When rebuilt, the ends were no longer sheathed, and the sides were rearranged so that the top board was the wide board (12") followed by three narrow boards, then the lower set, were all narrow boards (5 of them).
The cars were originally painted boxcar red. After the rebuilding, which occurred in the mid '20s, the cars were always painted black.
So if you are trying to "restore" the car, unless you are replacing all the side boards, and doing the original pattern, you might as well paint it black.
Note that the stockcar on display in Denver at the Western Stock Show, is red. They replaced the upper set of boards so they were back to the original pattern, but left the lower boards the way they were rebuilt in the '20s. Also the ends were not sheathed.
In any case, I'm sure we're all glad you are taking good care of this car, and everyone hopes you will restore it to their liking. But since it is yours, paint it as you will, just don't let it disappear for good.
Good Luck,
Phil
Subject Author Posted

D&RGW Stockcars...

Taylor Rush March 09, 2006 08:59PM

Fred March 09, 2006 09:16PM

Taylor Rush March 09, 2006 09:17PM

Jim March 10, 2006 08:30AM

I Meant 5516... *NM*

Taylor Rush March 09, 2006 09:18PM

Re: I Meant 5516...

John Templeton Chama Station Agent March 10, 2006 07:44AM

Fred March 10, 2006 08:44AM

Phil Hackman March 10, 2006 09:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.