Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I remember this stock movement

December 13, 2005 11:32PM
I remember this stock movement! In October of 1966, my family was visiting my Grandmother in Alamosa, when we heard a steam whistle in the night. As I would always do, I bugged my dad to drive me down to the railyard. When he finally gave in and drove me down to the yard, we found the 498 simmering away in front of the freight house, where the engines always seemed to stop after coming in from Cumbres and having dropped off their trains. Usually, I would just stand there and watch them till they shuffled off toward the roundhouse. However, this time, when the fireman saw me standing there, he invited me up into the cab. Talk about a thrill! He asked if I wanted to throw some coal in the firebox. What twelve year old could refuse that. He gave me a scoop of coal--maybe two lumps and told me to throw it in the fire box which I did. I thought he had opened the "gates of hell" when the firebox door was opened. I asked him what they had brought in over Cumbres and he said they had loaded some sheep in stock cars in Chama and brought them into Alamosa. My glorious time in the cab of 498 was broken up when the engineer climbed up into the cab and gave a very non-approving look at both me and the fireman, whereupon the fireman told me it was time to get down from the cab. Nevertheless, that anonymous fireman made a young boy's day and made me a confirmed narrow gauge fan. It was one of those memories I shall always treasure.
Subject Author Posted

Chama Stock Loading

Fritz klinke December 13, 2005 08:56PM

I remember this stock movement

kb466 December 13, 2005 11:32PM

Re: I remember this stock movement

Fritz klinke December 14, 2005 12:25AM

Richard "Bo" Boulware December 14, 2005 08:10AM

Jason Arnot December 14, 2005 07:22PM

Re: I remember this stock movement *LINK*

Fritz klinke December 15, 2005 12:07AM

Loaded Idler Cars

The Josh December 18, 2005 06:49PM

Video of this stock train is available *LINK*

Kevin Cook December 15, 2005 05:55PM

Re: Video of this stock train is available

stuart olson December 16, 2005 03:44PM

Kevin Bush December 18, 2005 10:02PM

stuart olson December 19, 2005 04:30PM

Kevin Bush December 19, 2005 10:32PM

stuart olson December 20, 2005 09:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.