Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where is This?

December 11, 2005 08:29AM
Fritz,
There were three clues to my having guessed right.
The vague familiarity if the buildings across the street, the almost unmistakeable profile of the hogback that the depot faces to the East, and the three story building to the far left that is, indeed, the General Palmer House of today.
This all became hallowed ground for me when I first saw it in the Summer of '65.
To echo Floppo's words, I really can't tell you how glad I am to see these photos. I have never seen these particular buildings photographed, and knew only of their demolition following the D&RGW's purchase of all the property at the base of Main St. to establish "Rio Grande-Land".
For the benefit of those who may not be aware of the changes to this part of Durango in the early 60's, the ICC had recently denied, for the final time, the Railroad's petition to abandon service on the Silverton Branch. If the D&RGW was going to be forced to operate the train, they would do everything they could to do it profitably and eventually lure someone else to take it off their hands. This was in 1961.
By 1964, they had two trains operating, and the rats nests of flophouses, rowdy watering holes and liquor stores that are evident in this photo were turned into a parking lot, everything on both sides of Main St. below 6th St. having been purchased by the D&RGW. The only two structures that remained North of the Depot on the West side of Main, the old Savoy and the Palace, became the new "General Palmer House". The places on the East side were consigned as gift shops, all to cater to the train patrons.
Every once in a while, you can find early references to "Rio Grande-Land", and this is what it was. What a time it was to be 15 and loose in the yard!
Thanks again for the pics, Fritz.
Subject Author Posted

Where is This? *LINK*

Fritz Klinke December 10, 2005 07:44PM

Mike Trent December 10, 2005 10:01PM

Fritz Klinke December 10, 2005 11:30PM

Mike Trent December 11, 2005 08:29AM

Rich Wisneski December 11, 2005 10:04AM

Floppo December 10, 2005 11:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.