Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 125th Anniversary of D&RG (No "W"winking smiley into Chama

November 09, 2005 06:56PM
Hi, John -
To the best of my knowledge, the first D&RG* train actually pulled into Chama on December 31, making a New Years Eve party on the train this year of special interest ...
That's why I've tentatively arranged a few days of vacation right after Christmas, why I've made a reservation at THE HOTEL, and why I've been trying for a couple of months to stir up Roger et al to put something together a.s.a.p.
For Example:
Put a plow-equipped engine facing east on the east end of a train, with one of the other engines facing west immediately behind, and unless there'e a monstrous blizzard in mid-December they ought to be able to at least get to Lobato, and maybe even Cresco. At either siding, the west-facing engine could run around the train and pull it back into town in style!! With music & entertainment on the train, and a dinner & dance to go to afterward, tickets at $125 each or $200 per couple should sell well enough for the sponsors and/or C&TS to come out WAY ahead!! They could probably pull it off for $65 each / $100 couple - depending on what band & caterers they hire, and how many of the train crew are volunteers** - and still come out better than even.
Roger, are you listening? Tim?? Carlos???
- El Curmudgeonito
* Just to prove to him that I'm earning my Curmudgeonly wings, I'm going to point out to John West (of all people!!) that the "W" for "Western" wasn't added til several years later - when the D&RG merged with the RGW to become the D&RGW ...
** With the new rules in effect, I can't even be a brakeman - but I'll gladly be a car attendant, host, or docent - or even part of a track gang to shovel out the switches ahead of time. Anyone else willing to help??
Subject Author Posted

125th Anniversary of D&RG arriving in Chama ...

Russ Sperry November 07, 2005 09:36PM

Re: 125th Anniversary of D&RG arriving in Chama ..

roger hogan November 07, 2005 09:55PM

Re: 125th Anniversary of D&RG arriving in Chama ..

John West November 08, 2005 10:25PM

Re: 125th Anniversary of D&RG (No "W"winking smiley into Chama

Russ Sperry November 09, 2005 06:56PM

My Guess "NO CHANCE"

roger hogan November 10, 2005 11:08AM

Re: My Guess "NO CHANCE"

Russ Sperry November 10, 2005 07:14PM

My Guess "NO CHANCE"

roger hogan November 10, 2005 08:46PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.