Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marker Light Qestion *LINK*

October 24, 2005 07:52PM
This question came up with regard to the SVRy, but pertains to all rr's in the early part of the 20th century. In the 1914 SVRy rule book, rule 19a requires a red lantern facing rear in the cupola and green facing to the front. This is apparently in addition to the usual marker lights required by rule 19. I have a 1916 Gen.Code of Op. Rules which also has rule 19 with regard to marker lights, but not rule 19a. Was this just an SVRy thing, or was it required on other rr's and how did they accomplish it? What type of lamp(s) would have been used? A freind of mine who is also a DRGW fan said that at one time the Grande had some sort of box on the roof of caboose cupola's for an additional light besides the usual corner mounted markers. This made me wonder if 19a was a rule that was in general application, but was eliminated, perhaps by 1916?
Any thougths or historical info on this would be appreciated.
By way of a little background as to how this question came up, the SVRy (Sumpter Valley Railroad Restoration Inc.) was recently given by donation an original caboose marker light that is a marked Adlake and is the left side. My neighbor a lamp collector has had the matching marked right for several years and agreed to sell it to us. These are the only 2 know to exist, though there must have been half a dozen sets at least during the hay days of operation. We are presently raising money through donation to purchase this lamp.(shameless plug) The question about the cupola lamp(s) came up as a result of us wanting to know what the correct lens arrangment was as the donated marker was missing a lens and the one we are purchasing has 3 green and 1 red. We found that based on the 1914 SVRy rule book, the 1916 Gen. Code and a later source that this was the correct arrangment of lens, though apparently some railroads deviated from this.
Subject Author Posted

Marker Light Qestion *LINK*

J.B.Bane October 24, 2005 07:52PM

Re: Marker Light Qestion

El Coke October 25, 2005 09:20AM

Dan Robirds October 25, 2005 01:17PM

J.B.Bane October 25, 2005 01:53PM

Ron Keagle October 25, 2005 04:04PM

Re: Marker Light Qestion *LINK* *PIC*

Jeff Badger October 25, 2005 11:38PM

J.B.Bane October 26, 2005 09:03PM

Matthew Mattioda October 26, 2005 11:02PM

Re: Marker Light Question

Rich Muth October 28, 2005 02:51PM

Re: Marker Light Question

J.B.Bane October 28, 2005 04:13PM

CarterB February 16, 2006 08:46AM

Jim Adams February 16, 2006 09:59AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.