Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I-70 Corridor and The Loop

Herb
August 04, 2005 03:51PM
That's a good story, Don, and I now recall that I saw it back in March. The one to which I referred is a little different, so I'll just toss it in here for what it's worth.
-------------------------------
IDAHO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - From Rick Garnett's house, perched high above this once-grimy mining town, the unceasing stream of headlights heading back to Denver looks like diamonds falling down a hillside.
"The noise is so loud from the highway that when they open the windows of City Hall on hot days they cannot hear themselves talking said Garnett, who took a visitor to his mountainside home to escape the noise below.
As many as 50,000 cars a day travel along Interstate 70 between Denver and mountain resorts like Vail and Aspen, hurrying past towns eager to cash in on the past by touting their history to tourists.
But problems along the interstate, the main portal from the Denver area into the Rockies. have grown along with Colorado's population and its trademark ski industry, valued at $4.5 billion annually.
Even without bad weather or accidents, the traffic, steep grades, tight curves - the highway's elevation rises from 5,200 feet to 11,000 - and outmoded intersections can make 1-70 stop-and-go.
The Colorado Department of Transportation predicts that without additional lanes the 100-mile drive from Denver to Vail will take nearly double the time to about four hours.
Everyone agrees that something must to be done, and soon.
Opponents say the transportation agency has already made up its mind to widen 1-70 from two lanes in each direction to three through the narrow corridor that is home to Idaho Springs, Georgetown, Silver Plume and other historic former mining communities. State officials insist no decision has been made.
"The historic views from the interstate give visitors a sense of place. If they widen the highway it will block views and people will only stop if their cars break down ." said Cassandra Shenk, spokeswoman for tiny Silver Plume, population 200.
"They have no vision. Their widened highway will be out of date by the time it is finished," added Idaho Springs restaurateur Chip Bair.
Like many others in the corridor between Denver and the ski resorts, Bair favors a highspeed monorail snaking its way into the mountains: "It could be a tourist attraction that would help pay for itself."
The problem with a monorail is the $6 billion to $7 billion estimated cost, according to transportation agency official Cecilia Joy. She also said no monorail has been built on such a steep grade.
Local governments and businesses worry that years of road construction on a highway that is effectively main street for many towns would bankrupt businesses by keeping tourists away, swallowing up valuable land and harming historic mining areas.
Residents have packed hearings to oppose highway widening plans, and have won support from some of the counties.
"We don't want to destroy the essence of why people come to Colorado," said Tresi Houpt, a Garfield County commissioner.
WHAT'S THIS ABOUT?
THE PROBLEM:
Steep grades, tight curves and outmoded intersections can frustrate the 50,000 daily drivers along Interstate 70, the main highway between Denver and mountain resorts.
ONE SOLUTION:
State officials are mulling a proposal to widen parts of I70 from two lanes in each direction to three.
CRITICS:
Residents fear construction noise and delays, blocked views and environmental damage. Some are backing a highspeed monorail.
Subject Author Posted

I-70 Corridor and The Loop

Herb August 04, 2005 01:58PM

Re: I-70 Corridor and The Loop *LINK*

Don Richter August 04, 2005 03:32PM

Herb August 04, 2005 03:51PM

Eugene August 04, 2005 04:25PM

Chris Webster August 04, 2005 06:16PM

Al Patterson August 04, 2005 06:52PM

Douglas vV August 04, 2005 09:58PM

Gavin Hamilton August 05, 2005 03:07AM

tom casper August 04, 2005 08:59PM

Re: I-70 Corridor and The Loop *LINK*

Steve Freer August 05, 2005 07:52AM

Roger Mitchell August 05, 2005 11:01AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.