Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This gives me an idea

November 04, 2000 02:46PM
For freight train photo charters the rotary water car could be dropped off at Big Horn, by the EB Passenger train. This would allow perhaps an extra runby or two before Big Horn, and before they have to highball for Sublette. On a WB freight charter, runbys could be made a Whiplash Curve and at Big Horn if water in the tender allowed, then pick-up the water car and head for Sublette.
This would give three more options
(1) They could do runbys between Big Horn and Sublette with the water car behind if the group wanted to, or
(2) They could leave the water car at Sublette and let an EB or WB passenger train get it later.
(3) Switch the water car to the back of the train once they reach Sublette, then carry it back to Chama.
I know in 92 on the John Craft freights we did only 3 runbys from Antonito to Sublette due to water allowances. They were(1) A few miles out of Antonito (2) MP 289, and (3) Whiplash curve.
This idea might allow another one or two, knowing the water is closer at Big Horn. You could leave it at Lava, but then the runbys at Whiplash and from there to Sublette would have the water car behind the engine(not the best solution).
Hey, if the RGRPC can take half the freight and leave it in the siding at Los Pinos(October 2000), why not consider this idea as well.
I'd like to hear from folks on that trip where the runbys were on the EB and WB runs, to see how the logistics were handled. Cheers.
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

Turning track at Lava

Jessica Stacey November 03, 2000 06:16PM

Re: Turning track at Lava

Jim Adams November 04, 2000 08:52AM

Re: Turning track at Lava

Don Richter November 04, 2000 09:57AM

This gives me an idea

Greg Scholl November 04, 2000 02:46PM

Re: This gives me an idea

G. W. Laepple November 05, 2000 09:27AM

Re: This gives me an idea

Greg Scholl November 05, 2000 09:51AM

Good ideas, but.... *PIC*

Don Richter November 05, 2000 10:46AM

Re: Good ideas, but....

Rich Muth November 05, 2000 04:05PM

Yep, back in 1997. *NM*

Don Richter November 06, 2000 09:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.