Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Surprised they let it go

July 08, 2005 11:04AM
Hi Gang!
Like Mike said, the "blown up car" flat is in the museum yards in Silverton. The brake staff is extra high for a flat car because of the movie appearance.
The car in the Durango Roundhouse Museum is the car that the inside scenes were filmed in. Some of the walls were removable so they could get extra filming angles. It was sold by the D&RGW years ago and was located at the "Fort" north of Durango for years. During the Bradshaw years , this car and 2 outfit cars (the numbers are not on the top of my head) were bought by the D&S and brought to the yards.
The car in question (the horse car) was sold by the D&RGW years ago and was moved to a ranch north of Bayfield. It was then moved to Ridgway. It was never owned by the D&S.
There was another car used for the movies that is pictured in the Sloan book that was classified as another gondola. It was used by the movie crews for various purposes. Rumor has it that it was to be another car on the movie train, but was used to haul material to the sets. It was number 6666 or 6668. Off the top of my head I can't remember which.
All of these cars were built on 6600 series flat cars that were once standard gauge.
File all this under useless information!
Ray Loose
Durango, Colorado
Subject Author Posted

What is this car at Ridgway? *LINK*

Bob Yarger July 07, 2005 09:03PM

Re: What is this car at Ridgway?

Bill Pratt July 07, 2005 09:15PM

Re: What is this car at Ridgway? *LINK*

Steve Freer July 07, 2005 09:16PM

Surprised they let it go

Bob Yarger July 08, 2005 10:01AM

Mike Stillwell July 08, 2005 10:32AM

Movie cars *LINK*

Dave S. July 08, 2005 10:53AM

Floppo July 08, 2005 11:04AM

Daniel Maxwell July 08, 2005 11:09PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.