Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ice on the Uintah.........

May 02, 2005 03:08PM
I know your question was for the D&RG, but you did say ALL: and narrow guage, so once Iget my foot in the door watch out.....
The Uintah got all of its Ice from McAndrews Lake on the north side of Baxter Pass. Compnay Ice houses were built at Dragon, Watson, Rainbow, Atchee, and Mack (and I imagine some kind of small dug out at Carbonera). They originally built an Ice House at McAndrews Lake to store ice and then move it to the smaller ice houses later. This practice was eliminated by the mid teens in favor of loading the ice directly in to box cars and taken immediately to the ice houses at the towns. The ice house was dismantled at McAndrews Lake and rebuilt at Mack inside the wye. Plenty of saw dust kept the big chunks insulated and the favorite kids game was to figure some way to sneek in tot he ice houses in the variuos towns during the summer heat and get cooled off. The large ice house at Mack was a wooden structure, all the rest were "dug out" structures, built back in to the hill side with only a lumber front and door (much like a dynomite shed). No ice was ever transhipped from the Uintah, but then again, they never had any brought in either....
Subject Author Posted

Ice Business

Frank Martindell April 29, 2005 07:17AM

Re: Ice Business

The Josh April 30, 2005 11:15AM

Ed Stabler April 30, 2005 01:59PM

Jerry Day April 30, 2005 05:47PM

Ice on the Uintah.........

Rodger Polley May 02, 2005 03:08PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.