Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Any info on this huckleberry locomotive?

April 18, 2005 08:27PM
Not rr/NG unless you are trying to fix something: Jason, but I have had some fairly good experience welding cast iron. Otherwise I am a lousy welder. I had the oportunity many years back to watch someone do an extensive cast iron weld and noted what he did, and he was good enough to tell me what had worked for him. I had a situation myself with a broken casting that required around 16 lineal inches of welding. Following the other fellows example I preheated the casting some, but probably not over 300 degrees, as it was not practicle due to size to heat the entire casting evenly. I arc welded using NiRod no more than 1" at a time, peening the heck out of the 1" of bead with a small center punch as quickly as possibe after laying it down. I'd allow it to cool a bit, maybe 10 min. before welding again. I spent all day on it, but I was careful never to let the casting get extremely hot in just one area. This method has worked for me several times since. Also I find that with 1/8" Nirod 65-70 amps works good on my welder.
Sorry no knowledge of the locomotive in the photo.
Subject Author Posted

Any info on this huckleberry locomotive? *PIC*

JasonL. April 18, 2005 06:02PM

Michael Allen April 18, 2005 08:13PM

J.B.Bane April 18, 2005 08:27PM

JasonL. April 18, 2005 09:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.