Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: How Much?

Pat
April 09, 2005 09:59AM
“Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to bring one up? Not fix it, just buy it and ship it?”
Excellent question Mister Richter. I’d like to take a stab at that question.
I believe the best way would be to bring one to a port and ship it out by freighter. (That’s how they arrived in-country) I believe that shipping one through Guatemala (in the case of an El Salvadorian engine) and into Mexico would be a bad idea. The same could be said of ground transporting a Guatemalan engine up through Mexico and into the US. The danger exits at the borders and internal check-points in Mexico and even perhaps at the US border (easy to hide drugs in a steamer). There are just too many uncertainties and territorial “legalities” (mordida) on a cross country ground transport (on two big flat bed trucks). The Mexicans may even claim it is their “national treasure.”
Therefore I recommend exiting Guatemala or El Salvador at one of their internal international sea port. My first question to you (the readers of this site) is where in the US do you want the engine to be delivered?
The first step for obtaining a Guatemalan locomotive would be to contact Henry Posner III. Mister Posner could advise you of the availability of one or more of the non-operating 2-8-0s at El Rancho or in his rail yard in Guatemala City. He may also advise you on the availability of the non-running 2-8-2s.
There are likely other engines that he may know about on the Pacific Division (which is not operating at this time).
If you could secure a Guatemalan engine on the Pacific side it could be trucked to a port (Pacific or Atlantic). If you obtain a Guatemalan locomotive that is on the Atlantic (Caribbean) side it could be deadheaded to Puerto Barrios and exported to the US at that location.
Regardless which country you decide to get an engine from-—remember it will be cheaper per engine (more economical and easier) to take two (or more) of them out simultaneously than to take two or more at separate times (economy of mass). Those who want these engines should get together and go to buy as a team.
As for El Salvador I suggest getting a well connected broker, setting a price, and agreeing on his commission. Then, line-up a separate trucking-loading company. Then, securing a shipping line. Do everything via LC (Letter of Credit) with an FOB at the port of exit.
Please don't be discouraged-- it can be done. It just involves planning, coordinating, and some money.
I’ll discuss more details after I know which US location you want to place an engine and from which country.
Regards
Subject Author Posted

Old GTL 44

Matthew April 05, 2005 01:19PM

Re: Old GTL 44

Roger Mitchell April 05, 2005 01:50PM

Re: Old GTL 44

KWilcomb April 05, 2005 02:54PM

Re: Old GTL 44 *PIC*

Stephen Peck April 06, 2005 10:49PM

40 & 44, last day 1983 *PIC*

Stephen Peck April 06, 2005 10:54PM

Re: 40 & 44, last day 1983

John Kyler April 07, 2005 08:34AM

Re: 40 & 44, (their sisters in CA)

Pat April 09, 2005 08:07AM

How Much?

Don Richter April 09, 2005 09:04AM

Re: How Much?

Pat April 09, 2005 09:59AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.