Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Kevin Bush-Job Opportunity!!

March 24, 2005 07:18AM
Kevin,
Good luck to you!!
As Greg pointed out this might not have been your first choice but today opportunities to work on or around steam locomotives today are 'scarce as hen's teeth'.
It sounds like a golden opportunity to gain the necessary qualifications while earning some dollars. Also working full time you will be able to obtain these much sooner than relying on being in a volunteer roster with their limited hours.
However, looking at the job description it seems that some of the work particularly in the off season will be in other areas of their operations that may not necessarily appeal to you. So bear this in mind before you submit an application.
If you take up the job, there would be nothing stopping you from applying for a position on your C&TS at a later date. I would imagine that your prospects would also be much improved if you can qoute previous experience and qualifications.
The 'old timers'are eventually going to retire and the future of steam railways rests in the hands of your generation.
One of the few advantages of my age is that I started work on steam during their last years of regular service. The experience gained from working on them full time was invaluable. Although text book study is essential, there is much to be learnt on the footplate in day to day service that cannot be found in books. Identifying unusual noises, coaxing temperamental injectors to work, how to handle poor steaming engines, is to name but a few from a very long list. The more time you put in the more 'tricks of the trade' you will pick up!
I gather from your previous posts you are very keen to persue a footplate career and I wish you every success in this regard. My only cautionary word of advice to you is be aware of the realities and go in with your eyes wide open.Footplate life is not always a bed of roses. Here are a few of the 'not so nice' aspects of the job.Trudging to work in the dark wee hours of a freezing morning when you would rather be still in bed. Being lashed with rain taking water in a thunder storm when you start to think there is more water running down your back and into your boots than is flowing into the tender tank. Drenched in sweat on a hot summers day as you struggle with fire irons trying to persuade the pressure gauge to move on a boiler that wont steam for 'love nor money'. But for everyone of those or similar experience I found there were a multitude of good ones that make the job worthwhile. Unlike diesels, steam locomotives only performed well with a team effort. This usually caused the crew members to develop a camaradie that is often not seen in other professions. You helped your mate and he looked after you. That was another enjoyable part of the job in 'the good old days'.
Also worth remembering is the more you sweat on the footplate, the better the beer tastes at the end of the day!
Mike
Subject Author Posted

Kevin Bush-Job Opportunity!! *LINK*

Greg Scholl March 23, 2005 07:57AM

Kevin Bush March 23, 2005 10:49AM

Greg Scholl March 23, 2005 11:06AM

Mike March 24, 2005 07:18AM

Randy Buchter March 25, 2005 04:07PM

Sam Bass March 23, 2005 06:45PM

J.B.Bane March 23, 2005 07:23PM

earl March 25, 2005 02:03PM

2ebright March 26, 2005 09:37AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.