Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: D&S Photo Special

March 03, 2005 08:18PM
Luckily for me, my boss scheduled a team meeting in Lakewood for all day Thursday and the first half of Friday. This allowed me to get out to Durango and ride the special even though I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I spent Friday afternoon driving down to Durango. (I managed to hit a snowstorm while descending Wolf Creek pass, but luckily for me I grew up in upstate NY and spent 10 years living in both Syracuse and Buffalo, so I am not completely clueless about driving in snow.) After riding the special on Saturday, I then spent Sunday afternoon chasing a couple coal trains between Delta and Somerset and eventually made it back to Denver in time to get on the 12:40 am (Monday morning) redeye back to Atlanta.
Unfortunately, as the plane pushed back from the terminal, some wack-job ran up to the stewardess and began ranting about how the plane couldn't be moved, that he needed to speak to the captain, he had to get off, etc., all because of another person on the plane was acting suspicious... that killed any hope I'd had of being able to sleep on the flight back to Atlanta.
I had a blast riding the special, but I heard others complaining about two things. First, putting an open car next to the caboose really ruined the view from the cupola. (The open cars are taller than the enclosed cars.) This issue only impacted the eight of us riding #0500, so it wasn't a concern for the other 100-something riders on the train.
The second complaint was that the sun was "on the wrong side" at several of the runbys. I don't really think this is a valid criticism. On past trips to the D&SNG, I've realized that it can be really difficult to photograph in the canyon because of the canyon walls -- if the sun is out, the sun is *directly* overhead.
The crew and volunteers did an excellent job of establishing and enforcing the photo lines. The only footprints showing up in the photographs were from wildlife. The photo stops were at locations that would have been very difficult to get at on foot, even in summertime, so that was a positive.
--
Chris Webster
[www.speakeasy.org]
Subject Author Posted

D&S Photo Special

Greg Scholl March 03, 2005 07:37AM

Tom Kneib March 03, 2005 08:04AM

Dan March 03, 2005 08:08AM

Re: D&S Photo Special *LINK*

Mac March 03, 2005 12:24PM

Thanks Mac! *NM*

Philip Walters March 03, 2005 12:55PM

Interesting....

RichB March 03, 2005 02:41PM

Re: D&S Photo Special *PIC*

Chris Webster March 03, 2005 07:56PM

Chris Webster March 03, 2005 07:58PM

Chris Webster March 03, 2005 08:18PM

Philip Walters March 03, 2005 08:51PM

SVRy Lineman March 03, 2005 10:40PM

Makin money on train pics

Philip Walters March 04, 2005 06:06PM

Re: D&S Photo Special *LINK* *PIC*

Nathan Holmes March 04, 2005 11:06AM

Greg Scholl March 04, 2005 11:25AM

Nathan Holmes March 04, 2005 11:35AM

Greg Scholl March 04, 2005 12:42PM

El Mountain Dew March 06, 2005 10:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.