Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Professional Advice 4: How is C&TS now operated?

PRSL
January 26, 2005 08:11AM
My observation of the turning of engines on the Wye at Chama may be way out of date, but in the recent past the steam engines were operated through the highway crossings south of Chama with the “blow and go” procedure. Just lay on the whistle and no indication of brakes in readiness. In one case only the hostler was handling the engine alone and no one flagged the crossing. He had to cross the cab to observe the road and his hands were away from the brake valve. Sometime a fuse is left burning on the crossing while the fireman lined the switch.
Suggestion: These crossings over the main and wye should be considered with extreme caution, without out using any of rights given in the railroad law, which gives the trains the right of way. The occupation of the crossing should not occur by the light engines until the crossing is fully blocked by a train flagman or flagmen. Then the engineer should be hand signaled to proceed, using bell and whistle. The crossing pavement should be fully painted to define the limits of the track right-of-way. If the advance crossing signs are missing, the highway department must get them re-installed. The advance signs should warn:” Two Crossings” which I don’t think it does.
If I ran that railroad again, I would install old fashion hand-crank crossing gates with a gateman shanty and potbelly stove. It might not be authentic for Chama, but look at the photo opportunities presented when the train crew cranks the gates down and up. That would bring back some rare history and make for a must safer operation. Who want to be a detractor from a safer operation? I am collecting names.
Subject Author Posted

Professional Advice 4: How is C&TS now operated?

PRSL January 26, 2005 08:11AM

Re: Professional Advice 4: How is C&TS now operate

Paul Gibbs January 26, 2005 10:21AM

Gavin Hamilton January 26, 2005 11:56AM

Mark Valerius January 26, 2005 12:28PM

Gavin Hamilton January 26, 2005 01:37PM

Herb Kelsey January 26, 2005 04:22PM

Mark Valerius January 26, 2005 12:15PM

PRSL January 26, 2005 02:43PM

Paul Gibbs January 26, 2005 09:04PM

So........Why???

Jack W. January 26, 2005 10:18PM

The list...

Dave Bates January 26, 2005 02:52PM

Martin Dickson January 26, 2005 03:56PM

Re: Profess Advice 4m: How is C&TS now operate

PRSL January 28, 2005 07:20PM

Re: Profess Advice 4m: How is C&TS now operate

PRSL January 31, 2005 10:34AM

You need an asbestos suit to post here... *NM*

Trevor Hartford January 29, 2005 10:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.