Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Drop bottom gon rider cars

January 08, 2005 08:34PM
Jason:
I don’t believe anyone is trying to “scare” the CHS as you claim. Their lack of planning of this operator transition, past history of arrogance and lack of any operational experience of a tourist RR should be sending up red flags in the Colorado State government. I am not an engineer and like many of the posters on this board just have an interest in narrow gauge railroading. I asked a question because I had heard the D&RGW 700 series drop bottom gondolas could tip when unloading and also had they ever been used in passenger service. Carlos confirmed a tipping incident, no one so far has confirmed a prior conversion. I don’t know what your professional background or education in RR car construction is but obviously you are intimately knowledgeable with the construction details. What really now concerns me is your statement: “The fact that none of GLR’s high side gondolas tipped over in 30 years speaks volumes about this.” A D&RGW high side gondola and the drop bottom gondola while they may share the same truck use different bolsters and draft gear I believe which IMHO may cause a car to react differently to the dynamic forces encountered in service. And as any of the GLRR train crews who post here regularly will attest it is the skill of the crews that provides the margin of safety. While you assume that 40 people will be the loading factor I can tell you from experience this past fall car loading exceeded this and people don’t just stand up along the car centerline as you stated. Perhaps bolting some 2Xs and plywood to a car and calling it good works for you and the CHS. We have seen the CHS attention to detail in how the doors for the Crystal Palace can’t even accommodate their own equipment. Maybe Carlos is correct and these cars will ride just fine, but please don’t assume that just because the GLRR did something that somehow proves your point as to the stability of these new cars. An engineering analysis and testing is what will prove their safety. Anything less is “scary”.
And while I am on a roll your clarification of the age of the C&S #9 boiler from 120 years to 105 years still leaves us with an old boiler on an engine that in the best case scenario will be able to pull maybe 4 cars on the Loop. Economically (for both the operator and Clear Creek merchants) how is this going to work to operate trains at less than ½ the capacity of the past years? It just doesn’t add up, but then I forgot the CHS doesn’t have to account for any of this do they? I can only hope that Railstar and their new GM can bring some professional tourist RR sense to this whole situation. I think I can honestly say that all of us here want to see the Georgetown Loop continue in the tradition that was established by the Ashby’s for safe steam powered train operations for all the public to enjoy. Yes, it is time to move on with a new operator, let’s just hope that they are up to the task or we all will be the losers in the “final analysis”.
Rod Jensen
Subject Author Posted

Today's The Day (GLRR Content)

steve singer January 03, 2005 09:47AM

Re: Today's The Day (GLRR Content) *LINK*

Jim Poston January 03, 2005 10:35AM

Re: Today's The Day (GLRR Content)

Phil Reader January 03, 2005 06:29PM

Tank car #59 (GLRR)

WP&Ymike January 04, 2005 01:38AM

Re: Tank car #59 (GLRR)

Dave S. January 04, 2005 07:28AM

: Today's Colorado Timetable

El Coke January 03, 2005 08:40PM

Re: : Today's Colorado Timetable

John January 03, 2005 08:42PM

Re: : Today's Colorado Timetable

Mike Stillwell January 04, 2005 05:53AM

Jason Midyette January 04, 2005 09:05AM

Scott Green January 04, 2005 09:25AM

Mike Stillwell January 04, 2005 09:31AM

El Coke January 04, 2005 09:59AM

Don Richter January 04, 2005 12:12PM

Chris Callaway January 04, 2005 06:39PM

Rod Jensen January 07, 2005 06:36PM

Carlos Llamas January 07, 2005 11:30PM

Rod Jensen January 08, 2005 12:06AM

Jason Midyette January 08, 2005 09:40AM

Rod Jensen January 08, 2005 08:34PM

Carlos Llamas January 08, 2005 03:33PM

Marlin and Drop bottom gon rider cars

Karell Reader January 08, 2005 08:32PM

Carlos - was that 859?

Bill Pratt January 09, 2005 11:06AM

Rick Steele January 07, 2005 02:37AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.