Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&TS Area Interest & Charm

May 27, 2001 03:04PM
In my opinion Chama is the best way to travel back in time. In August 1999 I shot on several days some 300 black and white slides (24 X 26 mm and 6X 7 cm) on the C&T during the freight train specials. Must of them look like they were done some 50 years back in time. I would not like if Chama itself would become such a "Disneyland on Rails" like the D&S is. (OK, the landscape is magnificent and it is truly the most scenic part of the old D&RGW) but the charme of Chama attracts me more. You are free to walk in the engine house at night and talk to the crews, the smell of steam, oil, coal and the engine shed with it's used look, this is real n g railroad for me. We have some daily operating ng steam RR over here in Germay too, and the only times I visit them is outside the holidayseason or in late fall or winter when no other "moron" is follwing the trains thru deep snow. Chama is a conserved piece of history and I hope the fiends are wise enough to keep it upright. Last year they repaired the roof of the sandhouse and I think they painted it with weathered colors to match the rest. That is what I like there. It is truly the last remnant of the steam aera in Northern America. On the whole world there are only 5 places (I knew) with nearly the same atmosphere and I am glad that one is to be conserved for our children. The other 4 spots
(Cuba, Argentina(Patagonia Express), Ecuador( Guayaquil & Quito) will sadly be gone within the next years when diesel or trucks take over the duties
Steffen
Subject Author Posted

C&TS Area Interest & Charm

Allen Tacy May 27, 2001 10:12AM

little stan May 27, 2001 10:42AM

Steffen Rosmus May 27, 2001 03:04PM

Allen Tacy May 27, 2001 03:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.