Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: West Side Lumber

Ed Kelley
October 01, 2004 06:38PM
I'm running an article on the West-Side which includes a fair amount on the West Side & Cherry Valley along with some great photos of the Shays and the motorcar (which was used in the Bell years on the line up to River Bridge at one point; they used a small speeder turntable at the end I guess). Apparently Brad Milne's group wants to run up to River Bridge if that ever happens. The reason I was told (I never saw it so I can't say anything solid) that the Shays stopped running to River Bridge was the condition of the track wasn't too great and running one of the heavy Shays would be risky.
On another WSL note..
Over at the BJWRR, when I was volunteering there, one of the chores was making sure the ballast was securely tamped under the ties (gopher/mole issues). One of the other volunteers told us a horror story of #15 (of course, the last Shay to operate at the West Side site in 1986, albeit a short distance) rolling on its side at Fish Camp when it banked on an unstable track dug out by gophers! I never heard this, so I'm not sure if it was just some humor. Anybody from the YMSPRR or elsewhere to confirm/deny this?
-Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

West Side Lumber

Marv. September 30, 2004 05:08PM

John West September 30, 2004 07:58PM

Kevin Cook October 01, 2004 09:31AM

Andre Poniatowski October 01, 2004 10:32AM

Jeff Badger October 01, 2004 04:11PM

Ed Kelley October 01, 2004 06:38PM

Gophers and such

Jeff A. October 02, 2004 05:23PM

Marv. October 02, 2004 08:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.