Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Young Railroaders

September 14, 2004 10:35PM
You are exactly right, Ed. The steam railroad preservation industry needs new, young faces to become involved in order to survive the next 10 years and beyond.
Working on the GLRR this summer and fall has been a dream come true for me, and one of the most educational experiences of my life to date.
I had always wanted to work on the Loop, and when the possibility arose that it just might be my only chance to do so, I jumped at it. I initially applied for a Ticket Agent/Gift Shop position, because I was told that the train positions were all filled. I was not hired for either of the positions, which I am now very glad for. So, for the first part of June I did not think about the employment part so much, as it meant that I could go up and ride on the weekends. However, in mid June, while up in Silver Plume after a ride on the train with some friends, John Hammond asked me if I would like to help out on the Extra Train that would be run on busy weekends. I jumped at the chance to do this, and 3 weeks later found myself volunteering on the Extra Train, learning the basics of railroad operation and safety (one of the primary concerns on the Loop).
I have been (and still am being) taught by some of the best people in the business, which include John Hammond-GLRR Trainmaster, Phil Reader-GLRR mechanic, Steve Peck-GLRR fireman/engineer, Ryan Davis-GLRR conductor/brakeman, and many others on the Loop. I should also mention Phil Johnson-GLRR/CC&RG superintendent, as he has been very welcoming to me, and also allowed me to be hired on as a paid employee of GLRR.
All of the people mentioned above realize that the younger generation must be introduced, interested, and most importantly EDUCATED about how steam railroading needs to be approached and performed. Otherwise, in 10-15 years, the steam railroad industry will have no one to pick up where the prior generation left off, or worse, NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO OR WHAT NOT TO DO. I for one am very thankful for the knowledge that is being passed down to me.
If someone were to have asked me a year ago if I was an expert on steam locomotives or railroading I would have said 'yes'.
You ask me the same question now; the answer is definitely 'no'. I have realized that the more that I learn about steam locomotives and railroading, the more I realize that I don't know.
19 days remain to see "the real thing" in operation. Real steam locomotives & real people who know their stuff (no offense meant to Railstar, but the people who work at the Loop are some of the most educated and experienced in the business today).
Shane
Subject Author Posted

New /Young Museum Members

John Cole September 12, 2004 11:28PM

Re: New /Young Museum Members

Douglas vV September 13, 2004 12:16AM

John Cole September 13, 2004 11:29AM

Andy Roth September 13, 2004 02:10PM

Brian Norden September 13, 2004 06:05PM

Paul Hagglund September 13, 2004 07:19PM

Young Railroaders

Ed Kelley September 14, 2004 01:25PM

John Cole September 14, 2004 02:02PM

Michael Seitz September 14, 2004 09:14PM

Douglas vV September 14, 2004 02:08PM

Shane Schabow September 14, 2004 10:35PM

Douglas vV September 15, 2004 01:05AM

John Hammond September 15, 2004 09:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.